Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
As stated on the first page of this threat, I put new 999R wheels on mine and here is what I needed:

The Wheels.
Rear one was a direct bolt on with the stock break setup and no need for any other spacers.
Front one needed a spacer. I used the stock rotor but had to upgrade to 4p calipers as the 3p no longer fit.

and that was it.

Pic attached.
So you didn't need the rear rotor, sprocket, caliper, carrier, break holder from a 999?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So you didn't need the rear rotor, sprocket, caliper, carrier, break holder from a 999?
nope.

Rotor, caliper carrier, break holder are bone stock from my SC. The Sprocket is after market because I wanted a black one. but it's a DRIVEN that fits on stock SC wheels, nothing special.

The one issue I may have, I'm not even sure, is that the speedometer might be off by 10%, i read somewhere that it causes that, but honestly I'm not so sure, and I don't really care.

here's a closeup pic.

One thing I should add is that I did not remove wheels from a 999R to put them on my SC. I ordered the wheels new from Marchesini. That being said, they are are exact same wheels that are fitted on the 999R.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
nope.

Rotor, caliper carrier, break holder are bone stock from my SC. The Sprocket is after market because I wanted a black one. but it's a DRIVEN that fits on stock SC wheels, nothing special.

The one issue I may have, I'm not even sure, is that the speedometer might be off by 10%, i read somewhere that it causes that, but honestly I'm not so sure, and I don't really care.

here's a closeup pic.

One thing I should add is that I did not remove wheels from a 999R to put them on my SC. I ordered the wheels new from Marchesini. That being said, they are are exact same wheels that are fitted on the 999R.
Obviously you did not buy 999R specific wheels, but the same wheel design with different bearing/spacer specifications... aftermarket Marchesini come in lots of fitment variations...

Marchesini Wheels - Marchesini Wheels

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
hey guys.

just a double check question to the 999 update folks. Ive got aluminum forged marchesinis, which were on a 999 track bike. I can not confirm if he built/upgraded the 999 with aftermarket forged marchesinis, but he did confirm they were run 'standard'... so, I'm assuming they were "off a 999" and have hence bought fast franks spacers, a 999 rotor, a 999 bracket, yada yada yada... we'll see what we have on bolt-up when we get there...

however.... we're not going anywhere without rubber...

so, to confirm:

Front 999, rim and tire :: 120/70 17

Rear, I've been running 180/55 17, as per oem on the oem spoke rim.. however, on the 999/999 marchesini, I see a 190/50 tire spec for the rim... I have come across articles/forums saying something to the effect that one is running a 180 on the 999 wheel for better feel on our SC's.

can anyone weigh in on that? Are there deviation concerns from what is essentially spec'd for the 999 rim versus sticking with the same rubber(180/55) for the original SC rim?

I don't consider the handling of my current rubber bad at all. I know Im going to get major gains on the lighter rims... but should I stick with 180/55's for the new rim if I don't have problems with my current rubber set up? or do I go with the 190/50 bc that's what's spec'd for the 999

thanks guys

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey guys.

just a double check question to the 999 update folks. Ive got aluminum forged marchesinis, which were on a 999 track bike. I can not confirm if he built/upgraded the 999 with aftermarket forged marchesinis, but he did confirm they were run 'standard'... so, I'm assuming they were "off a 999" and have hence bought fast franks spacers, a 999 rotor, a 999 bracket, yada yada yada... we'll see what we have on bolt-up when we get there...

however.... we're not going anywhere without rubber...

so, to confirm:

Front 999, rim and tire :: 120/70 17

Rear, I've been running 180/55 17, as per oem on the oem spoke rim.. however, on the 999/999 marchesini, I see a 190/50 tire spec for the rim... I have come across articles/forums saying something to the effect that one is running a 180 on the 999 wheel for better feel on our SC's.

can anyone weigh in on that? Are there deviation concerns from what is essentially spec'd for the 999 rim versus sticking with the same rubber(180/55) for the original SC rim?

I don't consider the handling of my current rubber bad at all. I know Im going to get major gains on the lighter rims... but should I stick with 180/55's for the new rim if I don't have problems with my current rubber set up? or do I go with the 190/50 bc that's what's spec'd for the 999

thanks guys
Forgive me if I'm wrong but is that even a choice? Don't you have to go 190 on a 190 wide wheel?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong but is that even a choice? Don't you have to go 190 on a 190 wide wheel?
You can go 190 or 180 on those rims. I've done it, and a 190 fits on the SC.

Interestingly, I didn't like the 190 on my classic. It felt that I had to really toss it in a corner whereas it's pretty effortless with the 180. Perhaps different tire brands have different profiles... but the 190 on the classic was a one time thing. If I recall it was a Dunlop tire set, probably a Q2, (I was in a pinch on a trip and that's all they had..) I prefer the pirelli rosso corsa for that bike.

That said, weirdly enough, on my 999S I have the same size wheel as on my SC, (although the rear wheel is cast, not forged, only 999R wheels are the forged ones), and I really dig the 190 rear tire and wouldn't consider a 180 on that bike. I have dunlop Q3 on the 999 and they really work for me on that bike.

my two cents..

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Brilliant - thanks vm.

I've been discovering/researching the same notion. The 180 on the SC is best. The rim I have, upon further inspection is 17x5.5 - so, Im stoked the noted specs line up for the 180.

cheers fellas.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I just want to clarify some things here:

DGJ - You must have purchased a rim, the same style as the 999r, but designed to fit an SC, as amongst other things, the rear rotor and rocket is 6 bolt on a sport classic and 5 bolt on a 999 (sorta a round peg in a square hole to bolt up). The original 999 rear rims are not able to directly bolt up to a SC without the parts previously listed. This is also why your speedometer isn't off more than the factory standard +8% (other than maybe by your tire choice if you changed sizes) as your using the factory SC 6 bolt set up.

As per tire choices, the 190/50 on the 999 wasn't the greatest tire, it was a bit wide for the normal cast rims and didn't turn as well as the taller 180/55, it did however offer a little more rubber for the added traction for the power of the 999. On the Sport classic there should be no question that 180/55 is the better tire. The only other choice (if you have a wider rim such as the 999r rims) is a 190/55, but that tire will effect geometry a fair bit.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,124 Posts
This is one of the first mods I planned to do on my GT1000. It seems that you cant' get the most of other performance improvement mods (like suspension, brakes, tires, and engine) if you still have heavy wheels that carry a lot of inertia with them.

I have been buying the required items one by one and was ready to start. But my other bike project grabbed most of my attention and time, so they are now shelved in the garage.

If anyone is interested you can just look for my post on the classifieds or send me a PM.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a set of 999 wheels complete with everything to swap wheels, minus the spacers. Hubs, rotors, brake, mc everything. Anybody interested email me at [email protected]. That's the best way to get a hold of me. I had them on eBay for a while so I'm ready to negotiate. :)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
last question, because TONIGHT IS YOUR NIGHT BROOOO

I think my checklist is complete.

my mechanic friend is shutting the garage at 4pm tonight, and Im scooting over to swap out the spokes for 999s mags.

999 calipers, mts1200 rotors on front (on STS forks that are already installed and currently fit all the SC oem stuff perfectly)

999 caliper, 999 mounting plate, 999 rotor on rear.

my last question: do I need fresh front and rear caliper bolts???? I totally spaced on this half-assuming the caliper bolts were plug and play off the SC into fresh calipers...

Thanks fellas!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think my checklist is complete.

my mechanic friend is shutting the garage at 4pm tonight, and Im scooting over to swap out the spokes for 999s mags.

999 calipers, mts1200 rotors on front (on STS forks that are already installed and currently fit all the SC oem stuff perfectly)

999 caliper, 999 mounting plate, 999 rotor on rear.

my last question: do I need fresh front and rear caliper bolts???? I totally spaced on this half-assuming the caliper bolts were plug and play off the SC into fresh calipers...

Thanks fellas!!
Nope, I used the stock SC bolts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Found myself some forged Marchesini wheels off a 999r and starting to source parts.

Did we ever find out the weight difference between the 999 rotors and the MTS rotors? Is it significant? Love the idea of the lighter rotors but not sure if shaving off 5mm of caliper mounting thread is going to be a good idea. Planning on running the 999 4p/4p brembo calipers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've got the calipers if you're interested

·
Registered
431 Posts
Still selling my wheels. Price drop to 650+ shipping

·
Registered
360 Posts
What did everyone do for brake lines? The little metal banjo pieces that work for the OEM SC calipers are not the right angle for the new Brembo 4P calipers. I ended up ordering custom Galfer lines through my local shop. Curious if anyone else did the same thing or went a different direction. If there is one?

6,048 Posts
I see you are in LA
I do custom installations

What did everyone do for brake lines? The little metal banjo pieces that work for the OEM SC calipers are not the right angle for the new Brembo 4P calipers. I ended up ordering custom Galfer lines through my local shop. Curious if anyone else did the same thing or went a different direction. If there is one?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
re brakelines - you can force them a little bit and fit the stock ones. What you get is a slight bowing out of the lines, which really isnt so bad. theres no interference with steering, etc. We're not talking mickey mouse ears either...just some minor bowing out... But as JC mentions, you can get fresh lines with the right banjo...and even get the daisy-chain-over-fender join for the second line as opposed to the OEM split under the headlight.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ended up doing new lines with my local shop - after coming all this way, figured I can't let up now. Just want to ride this damn thing! Happy to have contributed to thread though

Thanks JC! Next time!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts