Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I FINALLY have an opportunity to by some 999 wheels. The only issue I can foresee is that the rear 999 wheel is a 6inch instead of the stock size of the SC's at 5.5 inches. Does anyone know if the 6 inch will fit? (That's what she said.)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
all 999/749 wheels are 5.5", they just came with different tire sizes. the 999R might have come with a 6" rear but I don't believe so.
I think the OP is referring to Magnesium forged 999 wheels, which may be track wheels (16.5"' x 6" rear). If so, he won't be able to get street tires for 16.5" rims AFAIR.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'm pretty sure both my 03 999s and 05 999r wheels were 5.5

Big difference in weight between forged aluminum and cast alum 999 wheels. The 749/999 have some of the heaviest cast OEM wheels.

With the cost and effort of conversion , I'd try to find forged wheels instead. Although much lighter than sport classic wheels the cast wheels would only bring the handling up to basic monster level

Forged wheels will take it to another level

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
About to do this conversion as well. Unfortunately there were no forged 999r wheels for sale so I settled for the cast from a 2005. Perhaps a set will come up for sale and I'll make the swap but for now this will have to do.
To my question... Will I need the front axle for the 999 wheel or can I use axle from my SC? My bike is at the shop for service so I can't check on the the stock wheel right now. Thanks and I'll post the outcome once I get it completed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Super jealous here. Would love to ditch the tubes for something forged. Even the bent 999 cast rims on ebay are crazy expensive at times. Probably would end up cheaper going with the OZ piegas if I could find someone with an extra set for an sc.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Super jealous here. Would love to ditch the tubes for something forged. Even the bent 999 cast rims on ebay are crazy expensive at times. Probably would end up cheaper going with the OZ piegas if I could find someone with an extra set for an sc.
I paid $750 for front and rear 999s wheels, with the 999s rotors attached. simply got the wheels, swapped tires and on they went. I sold them about a year later for like $600. 9.5/10 condition with a couple insanely tiny little blemishes.

So just keep looking.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Matt - looks great. The wheels will fit right up? No spacers or changing anything needed? How does it handle now? I have a PS1000 too and I feel that the OEM wire wheels are really heavy! I read somewhere once that switching to the lighter cast wheels makes it feel/handle like a different bike? That true for you? Anyone please feel free to chime in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Matt - looks great. The wheels will fit right up? No spacers or changing anything needed? How does it handle now? I have a PS1000 too and I feel that the OEM wire wheels are really heavy! I read somewhere once that switching to the lighter cast wheels makes it feel/handle like a different bike? That true for you? Anyone please feel free to chime in?
Hi Dezion,
I did the same conversion on my monoposto too. They will not fit plug&play. There are many threads about and different solutions (see post no. 1 in this thread/parts needed).

Regards, Michele

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just had my Paul Smart converted last week...the difference is astounding. I went from a stock tires/wheels/brake set up to this. I installed cast 999 wheels, new tires, rotors and 4p brembo's in the front and 2p brembo in the rear. I asked questions from members privately (thank you GuyBFF and as always JC) and really took my time finding and buying parts...Also the 999 wheels came with a 41t sprocket so i "thought what the hell"...i ride almost exclusively in the city so the extra jump is fun. My advice for anyone thinking about this is to read and ask questions...every member i asked for help has been very generous with time and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks guys, your bikes look great!!........ def gonna find me some new wheels. I really like the look of the wire wheels and JC can get some bad ass tubeless wire Alpinas.... But the black mag cast or forged wheels have grown on me! Hmmm???

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I just followed the instructions outlined in this thread. I ultimately went with 999 Calipers front and rear, and used rotors from a later model monster if I recall correctly (had correct offset) to accommodate the 999 Calipers. Slapped on some Q2's and re-geared (520 conversion). The bike definitely handles better, feels a little lighter on turn-in. It may just be me, but swapping out the calipers has resulted in just a little less feedback at the lever. Not sure I am digging my gear selection, seems wound a little tight for my taste so I may look at another gearing option over the winter. Soooo much easier to keep these wheels clean! All that said, I won't be putting spokes back on until she gets sold. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If any of you come across a set of black rims (in "like-new" condition) please PM me, as I'd like a set for my PS1000.

I also have a set of really nice "like-new" black rims that would fit a Monster or Hyper, with the single sided rear.

I'm willing to trade, or sell? Thanks Boyz!! ;)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
As stated on the first page of this threat, I put new 999R wheels on mine and here is what I needed:

The Wheels.
Rear one was a direct bolt on with the stock break setup and no need for any other spacers.
Front one needed a spacer. I used the stock rotor but had to upgrade to 4p calipers as the 3p no longer fit.

and that was it.

Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rear bracket from 749

Hello,

I have searched the site without finding anything about this problem.

The rear 749-bracket for the caliper have a gap between the pin and the cutout in the bracket. It is hard to see in this picture but i hope you understand what i mean.

Has anybody fixed this problem?

Regards
Per, Sweden

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hello,

I have searched the site without finding anything about this problem.

The rear 749-bracket for the caliper have a gap between the pin and the cutout in the bracket. It is hard to see in this picture but i hope you understand what i mean.

Has anybody fixed this problem?

Regards
Per, Sweden
That's not a problem... just make sure that the pin has contact to the bracket slot before tightening the rear axle...

21 - 40 of 79 Posts