Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who knows if the shower jets throttle stacks from a 749/999 would fit in 996 throttle bodies instead for the velocity stacks?

I know this would require remap and some changes to the fuel lines but that is an other part of the project :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would also be an option but then there is a mechanical difference on the TPS-sensor. I think the 749/999 TPS has linear voltage output while the 996 has something else(Log or something). And I`m not sure if I can easily adjust the TPS values in my ECU (my16ECU-kit) without ordereing a new EEPROM from the supplier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I`m not trying to acheive much other than just to have some projects this winter/spring :)

Don`t expect much gain of HP or anything like that. Just because I can do it :)

I like to "update" my 996 to a newer spec.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I`m not trying to acheive much other than just to have some projects this winter/spring :)

Don`t expect much gain of HP or anything like that. Just because I can do it :)

I like to "update" my 996 to a newer spec.
I thought I was the only one with these problems :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the 999 are 54mm, whereas the 916 are 50mm. so you'll need some sort of reducer. not sure how the 999 ones attach to the throttle bodies, don't have them out very often (or pay attention).

depends which pointless shit you want to waste your time on. i'm in no position to pass any judgement on that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Interesting idea, as I do have a 996 with HC postal piston & tank exhaust. I just a t happen to have 999 throttle bodies with injectors from a 998 swap to a 748 that didn't happen. I am thinking I can mount a 748 tsp to it and it will work. I have all the parts, the TB's fit in the 996 manifolds. Anyone have any idea of the performance gain to be had? Have power commander as well for remapping.

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
52mm exhaust that is. Dann auto suggest sucks

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Going to give this a try. So far I have changed the front butterfly valve so it will open the same direction as my 996 cable opene it. Making a new bracket for the throttle cable and a bracket for a 748 tsp to make tv's work with the 996.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
I have great respect for this trying for no reason as its how Ive learned what matters.
What would be the most fun doing yet youd learn the most? imho cam timing is what you want to do/understand as it is a fairly complex thing in terms of getting your head around all aspects AND it will bring stuff to the table done right, which in the end isnt that difficult, its mostly a mind game.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It`s fun to try new things...

I know the injectors of my 996 has run about 50000km. I bet they are not in tip top shape..

And the 996 throttle bodies with dual injectors are so big and clumpsy. :p

I do not need any big HP gains since there is enough HP for using on the streets in Norway.

Seems the inlet diametre of the 996 throttle bodies is about 56-57mm.
The inner diametre of the throttle stacks are 50mm..

Must be possible with some adjustment of the 999 throttle stacks ....

Or find some throttlebodies from a 998....

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
It`s fun to try new things...

I know the injectors of my 996 has run about 50000km. I bet they are not in tip top shape..

And the 996 throttle bodies with dual injectors are so big and clumpsy. :p

I do not need any big HP gains since there is enough HP for using on the streets in Norway.

Seems the inlet diametre of the 996 throttle bodies is about 56-57mm.
The inner diametre of the throttle stacks are 50mm..

Must be possible with some adjustment of the 999 throttle stacks ....

Or find some throttlebodies from a 998....
Thing is its not whether the human looking at the bits thinks any thing, the stuff on the bike wont read your thoughts, it acts on its own per physical laws.
Throttle bodies wont make any difference, while cam timing and making the heads flow better will.
Im not daft, just letting you know what I found from 15 years of trying what youre about to.
All youre doing is making a five lane instead of a four lane when it ALL comes down to one lane in the end, you need to find the narrow sector and TB aint it.
Learn to manage that one lane and results will come.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
So far this is what you have to do to make this work. First, reverse the front butterfly to open in the same direction as the 996 does so you can use existing throttle cable. Then you have make a new throttle cable/idle screw bracket and a new bracket to use you tsp sensor, a mill and lathe are required to do this.. Then you have to grind out the tsp and cut down the housing around it so the 996 tsp will work. Then once you have done all that you will find that the TB spacing is to much so now have to make a new bracket that holds the tv's together, 1" shorter. When this is done I will have to revise th throttle links as they will be too long. Is this worth the hassle, for me it is because I have nothing better to do and no bike projects to work on. And I love to tinker with to see if I can make it work. It also helps that I have 748 and 998S throttle bodies, a mill and lathe and chunks of aluminum to do all this.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Pictures so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far this is what you have to do to make this work. First, reverse the front butterfly to open in the same direction as the 996 does so you can use existing throttle cable. Then you have make a new throttle cable/idle screw bracket and a new bracket to use you tsp sensor, a mill and lathe are required to do this.. Then you have to grind out the tsp and cut down the housing around it so the 996 tsp will work. Then once you have done all that you will find that the TB spacing is to much so now have to make a new bracket that holds the tv's together, 1" shorter. When this is done I will have to revise th throttle links as they will be too long. Is this worth the hassle, for me it is because I have nothing better to do and no bike projects to work on. And I love to tinker with to see if I can make it work. It also helps that I have 748 and 998S throttle bodies, a mill and lathe and chunks of aluminum to do all this.
Nice :)

Can you measure the outside diameter of the shower stacks if you have them availible? The part of the stack that enters the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
314 Posts
didn't the 748R have 54mm throttle bodies......surely there would be std parts available to fit those?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts