Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual tells you to leave the throttle alone and use the cold-start lever when starting the engine, unless the ambient temperature or the engine is warm/hot.

How much to pull the lever though and how warm is warm enough??

I think I may have stumbled upon the answer and I'm probably not the first if I have but I thought I'd share what seems may be the solution:

Stab the starter button to initiate the automatic 'servo' starting and simultaneously, steadily but not too slowly, pull the lever until the motor fires, then adjust the idle speed with the lever to a moderately fast idle before returning the lever to off when the motor has warmed a little.

This is working a treat for me, I thoroughly recommend giving it a try :)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
cold start lever is just a fast idle lever, no enrichment whatsoever. no different to holding the throttle a little bit open. for me it has always been, good tune, good leads, strong battery. if you meet these criteria the bike will start like it came from the showroom. no crossing fingers. no magic maneuvers. fast idle lever open. hit the starter. ride away when engine tone changes. for the deaf, thats around 35c

·
Registered
580 Posts
Damn, mine must be broke, I just push the button and it fires right up. I always thought that lever was for adjusting your headlight beam. :wink2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold start lever is just a fast idle lever, no enrichment whatsoever. no different to holding the throttle a little bit open. for me it has always been, good tune, good leads, strong battery. if you meet these criteria the bike will start like it came from the showroom. no crossing fingers. no magic maneuvers. fast idle lever open. hit the starter. ride away when engine tone changes. for the deaf, thats around 35c
Why then does the manual tell you to leave the throttle alone and use the lever? I get that it essentially a fast-idle lever and not a choke but is it seen by the ecu/tps differently perhaps??

I really don't think I'm imagining that the above method works better than doing the same thing with the throttle, which is what I've always done previously btw.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
My 999s has not ran for over a year , good Lofgren tune & non oxy fuel battery on a tender fired up almost without hitting the button last week !!

Disclaimer : This has been my recipe on several super bikes it works !! The grabby clutch , hard starting ,flat spots ,bogging , running hot none of this have I experienced since 92 TRUST ME PEOPLE SO MUCH OF this >>>>>>>> Chite Poor service !

Reactions: xracer

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Why then does the manual tell you to leave the throttle alone and use the lever? I get that it essentially a fast-idle lever and not a choke but is it seen by the ecu/tps differently perhaps??

I really don't think I'm imagining that the above method works better than doing the same thing with the throttle, which is what I've always done previously btw.
Ambient temperature dependent as to how much lever you give it. It’s there to hold the throttle open so you don’t have to while it warms up. Just like the little button on the throttle of 9-6 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts