Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is much is said about the "character" of the older Duc Tamburini designed superbikes. They have plenty of it, and they are all beautiful bikes.

When the 749/999 first came out, I was just like everyone else, and thought that it wasn't as pretty as the model that immediately preceded it. I thought it looked "futuristic."

A lot has changed since then, I suppose my eyes have adapted well to how the 'new' design looks, and I have since owned 2 of them. Although I think front and rear of the body looks as good or better than any other bike out there, I still think the tank looks "out of place."

I was taking some pics of my bike the other day and noticed really how that the tank looks out of place in the overall design ... this is where the first hint of "character" on this bike has struck me.

Because of that tank, and especially the oversize 749r one, what could be presumably taken as "ugly" is actually, for me, gives the bike plenty of that "character" that is so much talked about in previous models. The fact that the bike is able to go leaps beyond in V-Twin technology and still retain a finicky mechanical nature is the very same character that the old models claim.

My 749 and its big brother has plenty of character, I see it, and as time will most likely tell, it will be looked-on in the past at the same level as its predecessors. This is why I am happy to own one of these machines.

I sometimes do not understand how some people can call it ugly, as this is not what I see in everyday ownership of this bike, and how people react to it. Yesterday, a man came up to my bike LITERALLY drooled at it, as he was eating his muffin and pieces of it came flying out of his mouth and on to my bike as he said "god damn that looks awesome." Needless to say I was disgusted at the muffin pieces, but found it funny.

Character ... now that a few years have gone by, I can say that this bike has plenty of it... just as much as the older ones.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, it is a beautiful design!

At first when the new design came out I thought that they are ugly and Ducati's designers lost their touch and they tried to put together a design. As a product designer I stated looking into why they picked that design language and from the old school books..sharper lines means "a bold statement". Look at Cadillac, BMW, Chrysler, and most Italian cars ( Asian designers (actually US designers) are fast following) they started having sharper lines on the new models. NOW, if you do not know how to design or go by using conservative sharp lines, you will screw it up (seen a few already). Bottom line, Ducati is on the forefront of design and they take bold leaps ..... BOLD LINES, BOLD DESIGN!
Remember, Ducati always had the muffler under the seat (916's and up) now the competition they all have them. Don't underestimate Ducati's design team, they know what you want and they design for the next five years instead of now!!

Bella Ducati .

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Don't worry about other people. The 999 design is great. Besides, unless you are one of those people who would rather stare at a bike than ride it, this is the only view that really matters anyway.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
SouthsideDuc you hit it on the head! When I was buying my 749S I was flip flopping over it and a 748S. The 748S was classic beauty, vs new technology (Testastretta engine) of the 749S. What pushed it over the edge for me was the gauge cluster. Looking at the 748S it didn't look like it evolved any from my '93 900SS, where the 749 looked fresh and modern.

The tank does leave some to be desired, but the narrowness of it wins big time.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
My first reaction to the 749/999 was that the nose looked like some deranged Jack O' Lantern and the exhaust like someone had stuffed a breadbox under the seat. Then they got rid of one of those "nose gills" and went to a black exhaust. Considerably better. Funny how black can change the overall sense of a design. Ever seen an Aprilia Futura in black? Very different than the silver or red. Anyway, with the changes the new design looks cleaner. But, when it came down to it, I bought a 998 for the "classic" design. The right choice for me. The idea that some people "stare at" their bike and some people ride them is a little too simplistic for me. In my 8 yrs. of Duc ownership I've averaged about 10K mi. a yr. I've ridden a pre-PT SS from CT to CO several times and I still like to look at my bikes. In fact, I'll bet a high percentage of Duc owners were initially drawn to Ducs due to that "Italian Design" thing we always talk about.

Bruce19

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ugly Ducling? No such thing.

Over the years I've warmed up to designs of cars and bikes that I first thought were ugly. I've spent alot of time out in the garage just looking at my 999 and have come to the concusion that bikes, as do people, have good sides. I don't like the way it looks from the left side, leaned toward you on the side stand. From the other side it looks all beauty and light, brandishing that exhaust pipe. I personally love the tank shape. It has a nice place for your knee to grab on to when you're heeled over in a curve doing that manic laugh we find ourselves doing.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I didn't like the 999 when it first came out, but now i simply LOVE the way it looks.
I don't care about what some people say, i just know i like it and the old design (916, etc...) just look dated compared to the 999.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Riding both the 998 and 999, I wouldn't give the 999 the A+ aesthetics of the 998 but I'd still put in in the B+ if not A- realm. Seriously, few bikes look as nice as the 999 and a stroll through other sportbike forums find many drooling over the appearance of the 999.

From the very front the 999 is a challenge, but everywhere else imo, it is a looker, and at some angles an improvement over the 998.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Give this thread a good look and you will see that everyone is pleased with their purchasing decision. Gee, what a surprise. How perfectly unexpected!I am right there with you...

What I find to be more interesting than the simple pride of purchase that we all have, is that this is still an issue and that the new bike owners seem to be
so defensive of it.The market has spoken, and you can get some very, very good deals on 749/999 bikes. ( Don't argue that with me here, just check the Ducati.com sales reports.)

I have had the true pleasure of riding several 999's by now, and I am still reminded of it's similarity to the Multistrada. I.E. really ugly, but damn what a fine ride ! The best handling and fastest Ducatis yet. Yes, it is truly possible for any manufacturer to get one critical area right and the other...wrong. Sounds perfectly human to me.

Italian design is an on again, off again thing. But when they get it right, there is nothing in the world that can touch them. Some good examples of this might be: Bad: Bimota DB3 Mantra from 1995-1998, Superb:Ducati 916 family.

There is no real explanation of personal taste. My view is that I am looking forward to the successor to the 999 and hope that they can get the magic back. If they don't, then I am in a real fix.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
who'd thunk bevel and Buckelew don't like the 749/999 design

What I find to be more interesting than the simple pride of purchase that we all have, is that this is still an issue and that the new bike owners seem to be so defensive of it.The market has spoken, and you can get some very, very good deals on 749/999 bikes. ( Don't argue that with me here, just check the Ducati.com sales reports.)
I wouldn't dare argue with you, sales numbers are what they are...I'm sure the 916 series were never discounted, it was a sea of dealers getting MSRP or more?

"so defensive" maybe some are tired of those that don't care for 749/999 (and Multi) jumping into every thread on them to piss on their wheaties? :rolleyes:

"pride of purchase", dam we don't want to have any of that here on a DUCATI forum :rolleyes: or maybe some can appreciate a 749/999 for want it is even though it doesn't met your expectations.

I'm not pissed, really, just poking some fun back. I rode my 749 this week for the first time in a few months, and I was reminded what a fun bike it is.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
sfarson said:
Riding both the 998 and 999, I wouldn't give the 999 the A+ aesthetics of the 998 but I'd still put in in the B+ if not A- realm. Seriously, few bikes look as nice as the 999 and a stroll through other sportbike forums find many drooling over the appearance of the 999.

From the very front the 999 is a challenge, but everywhere else imo, it is a looker, and at some angles an improvement over the 998.

Now that's nice picture!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Beautiful picture!

Terblanche & the team did a wonderful job bringing us into the future!

"so defensive" maybe some are tired of those that don't care for 749/999 (and Multi) jumping into every thread on them to piss on their wheaties?

"pride of purchase", dam we don't want to have any of that here on a DUCATI forum or maybe some can appreciate a 749/999 for want it is even though it doesn't met your expectations.
LMAO...the elders seem to be set in their ways.

·
Registered
600 Posts
grimgrinnin said:
I never liked the XX9's - until I saw them in person. They look much better in 3D than in pictures. I went into the dealer with the intention of coming out with a ST3. Didn't happen.

grim
I read an interview with Terblanche during which he mentioned the different methods used when designing the 916-998 and the xx9 series. The original design of the older series was drawn in 2 dimensions - on a piece of paper. The finished product stayed quite true to the 'look' of those original drawings. The original conceptualizations of the xx9 were done using CAD 3D software - they were designed in 3D from the start.

Since the 916-998 was originally 2D it looks very good in that presentation - as in all the pictures we see in magazines and on the internet. The shape of the xx9 was never 'worked' in 2D, so perhaps that is why it doesn't 'work' very well in pictures.

I know that I didn't like the xx9 very much when I first saw it in pictures. The bike was a pleasant surprise when I saw it in 'the flesh'.

The 916 enjoyed being a quantum leap forward in comparison to anything else on the market. It had no competition. The xx9 had to compete with the legend of it's predecessor and vastly improved competition from Japan.

All that being said maybe I am a little bias because I own a 999, and since I think the 1999-2003 BMW M Coupe is an absolutely gorgeous car many people say my taste is questionable...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts