Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I live in "brazil", this stupid land, where Ducatis are rather rare and, obviously, imported and worse, expensive as hell.

I got interested in an used Ducati 749 Dark (y 2006), so I went to check the girl up, and I got a few noticed points that led me to doubt, and I hope some of you'd be able to give a little help.

The odo marks around 14500km (9000 miles for some), what I consider low and somewhat odd for a 2006 motorbike. It looks very new, apart from some things.

First thing is that, when I turned on the key, the digital panel, what would normally display the bike model "749" for a couple seconds, it shows "999" and on bottom right "EU". When I asked the owner about this he said that he got a injection system cleanup (don't know exactly english term for the parts) and the computer de-configured, thus displaying that, that I'd need to take it to a Ducati scanner to re-configure it.

1. What comes to mind is, can that really have happened? Because I feel he could have got that panel part from a 999 bike instead of that story (he claims everything is original).

2. Second thing is about the decal on the side parts (careening), I saw that most models show "DUCATI 749", but that ones show "DUCATI DARK" and "testastretta" below it, so I'm confused with that part being original or not. There's also a broken clutch/tab/pin (again, don't know the exact word) on the front of the right side so it moves/bounces a bit. Maybe some of you have seen something like that already...

Also the left handgrip slipped off and it had some DIY glues/tapes inside it, what was really weird for such a quality built up as Ducati... :think:

I hope this deal would not lead me to some disappointments.

Thank you and best regards

·
Registered
553 Posts
If this helps I got a 999 motor and ecu put into my 749dark and now the dash says 999 on startup so I think the ECU has to be changed in order for it to say 999. I think the dash and the key just need to match up and are not matched to the ecu...

My grip slips off my bar on my 999 too on the left side.

The dark 749 has some easy to see differences. The forks have a silver bottom tube and not gold like the regular ones. They are showa and they have right tension and left compression adjusters and only on the top. Unlike standard showas that have tension top on both legs and compression on the bottoms of the forks through the axle hole...

Tension = Rebound just so you know.

Also there is no adjustable neck for rake angle. No stock steering damper attached to the frame. I believe it was only a biposto for the dark and I think it has the old style swing arm - At least my 2005 has the old style..

load up some pics and we can tell you what you have for sure. Make sure you ride it so you can at least see if its running smooth. That ECU might not even be for that engine!!! Could run poorly like that or not at all.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
This is a photo of a factory spec bike. No aftermarket mods except the license plate holder. Any different from this and it is not factory. It sounds a little weird about the display. And the fairings sound like they have been repainted. The Darks were all biposto, and the 06 had the updated box swing arm as in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The display can be changed by pushing the buttons on the side in a certain order,thus making the display read 999 or 749 etc,you also scroll through standard or metric which is the "eu" designation.consult your owners manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts