Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748SP 1996
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

After having some problems with my bike I decided to measure the fuel pressure. I made a test circuit with a "T" fitting. I connected one hose from the feed side and connected it to the T. Other side went to the return line so it basicly loops the fuel back to the tank and then I started the fuel pump using Ducatidiag.

The problem is I'm unsure if this is the right way and that I will get a proper reading. My reading only showed 20 psi so that's why I'm wondering but it should be the same reading if I connect it in-line with the feed line so it goes through injectors and then returns right? Also shouldn't the pressure regulator open at 3 bar and then return fuel back to the tank? In my case it was running at 1,5 bar (20 psi) and still returned it back to the tank but this might be correct and operating as it should. Starting to think I either got a regulator that's stuck open or a split line inside.

Anyone of you know if I measuring the pressure correctly?

·
Registered
748SP 1996
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should only be dealing with the pressure side, so the tee goes in line & the other to the gauge nipple
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I was thinking about that but wouldn't that get the same results? Since the injectors isn't open it will just go around and loop as it does with the previous test? I'm trying to understand the whole thing and how it works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The test should be done running, and the regulator comes into play. Now a loop system is different, & I'm more knowledgeable of Harley's single pressure side only, but in general you should get 50ish psi. A running test can signal a lot of stuff, low pressure could signal clogged filter, a wiggling needle on the gauge could be a leak.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
i usually plug into the return side of the system (white connector in tank) between the hose and tank, that way you know that the full system upstream of your gauge is seeing that pressure. the reg is in the tank, so everything external sees the same pressure. 3 bar or 44 psi. a t hose should work ok.

·
Registered
748SP 1996
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll try that and I like the tip about plugging it in on the return side. I learn someting new everyday :)

·
Registered
748SP 1996
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just measured the fuel pressure in-line and got the same exact results (20 psi).Time to order some spareparts and check out the fuel assembly.

·
Registered
748SP 1996
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gauge is completely new but you can't be 100% sure even if it's new. Time to pull out the fuel assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts