Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1997 748s for $800. Its in pretty good cosmetic shape, but it has bent valves from incorrectly installing the timing belt. Is it worth it to pick it up and either part it, rebuild it, or engine swap? Or is 800 too much for a 748 with a bad engine?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1997 748s for $800. Its in pretty good cosmetic shape, but it has bent valves from incorrectly installing the timing belt. Is it worth it to pick it up and either part it, rebuild it, or engine swap? Or is 800 too much for a 748 with a bad engine?
Thanks guys
Depends. It would take some money to fix it up, but you should still be out ahead of the game, doing the work yourself. Even an entire replacement engine is not that expensive, and if parts and labor ran $3,000.00 (not likely, with that sort of damage), you are still into it for $3,800.00... not bad. I would do it, personally, but like any labor of love, it all depends on how much you want to put forth the effort. One added benefit, by the way, is that will learn a lot along the process, and will have a personal connection with the machine. You will appreciate it even more for this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
By the way, it isn't on Craigslist, is it? I have seen ads all over the country on CL for a 748 for $800.00. They are stolen pics, and a scam. The last one was a red biposto that the guy tried to pull this on.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It is easily worth $800. If it was local I wouldn't think twice on the purchase. I'd still low ball at $500 just to see.

Send me the link to the sale.

it sounds like a scam.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is easily worth $800. If it was local I wouldn't think twice on the purchase. I'd still low ball at $500 just to see.

Send me the link to the sale.

it sounds like a scam.
There isnt a link. It belongs to a friend that wants to unload it. Not a scam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the responses. I picked it up early this morning. I think im going to part it out. I keep thinking i can make it a cheap project, but that always means expensive project. The only cheap projects i have are the ones i haven't started yet. The frame has a clean title, so I may keep it and do a custom build with it down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts