Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the unmodified 748s, but I was dissatisfied with the engine's response so I changed to a slip-on silencer of a less famous company, the engine response improved but the muffler exploded with a downshift The sound became louder. I bought ep-rom to improve it, but the product number was 965014aaa. Will this eprom cause any harm?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Uh, if the muffler exploded I don’t think an eprom is going to put it back together.

Reactions: TNR

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Ducati Performance Eprom 965014AAA description is "748 Twin-seat silencers Racing" — so is correct for your bike with slip-ons. It can help if you have a lean fueling condition. You can check the air/fuel ratio on a dyno to be sure.

Your problem more likely is the result of a poorly fitting exhaust system since the backfiring didn't occur with the stock exhaust.

The most common situation is that an aftermarket exhaust pipe or slip-on is not fitting properly. Aftermarket pipes joints are not a precision fit and often they let in combustion air that, when mixed with unburned fuel, results in the fuel being burned in the muffler as a delayed combustion event. When you quickly chop the throttle and decelerate you send the greatest amount of unburned fuel to the exhaust and this is when the condition is the worst.

If this is the case, apply a high temperature silicon sealant at the joint to the slip-on to keep the air out.

No combustion air — no backfire

I recommend Permatex Ultra-Copper high temp RTV silicone gasket maker #101BR for the aftermarket slip-on system joints — good to 700˚F intermittent. Available in auto parts stores.

Picture 2017-01-23 at 3.14.12 PM.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts