Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this while at a dealer in RI picking up another bike, not sure if anyone is looking but it is for sale (sticker is 15k)...unfortunately it's out of the crate.

It's at Razee's

I have nothing to do with it but if this is better suited in the classifieds somewhere feel free to move it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
This has been posted here since last year.

FYI, this is correct for how the 748R was delivered.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts

So in the us how did they get road registered? Seems an odd way to deliver a “race” bike with a speedo, idiot lights, ignition lock and shit steering damper. Just asking.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
So in the us how did they get road registered? Seems an odd way to deliver a “race” bike with a speedo, idiot lights, ignition lock and shit steering damper. Just asking.

The shit damper is different (I assume something to do with the WSS rules) but for the rest of your questions:

In the US, the 996R, 998R, and 748R all had to be delivered as "race bikes" per US EPA regs. They have stickers all over them that say for competition use only. You could then go over to the parts desk and ask for lights, mirrors, stand, turn signals, license plate holder, etc. and put them all on. The 916SPS had the sticker but was delivered as a road bike and US customers had to sign a waiver saying they wouldn't ride them on the street but of course would go register them anyway. To get around that for the next batch (996R and later 998R), Ducati said hey no problem, they're race bikes and we will sell them as such. Of course, they left everything there so it was basically 45 min of work to add the needed street parts, hence all the other items you mentioned. The wiring is all there for lights and signals and they even came with the helmet holder cable. But it was enough to get the EPA to buy into the whole "race bike" scenario.

My 916SPS, US 996R, and 998R all have the stickers and the last two came like the 748R in this thread (Ohlins dampers though). In fact, my 996R is as it was out of the crate and has never been ridden. It is complete with all stickers and everything. I'll see if I can post pics. And I did get it registered exactly as it is. They didn't care it didn't have lights or anything (and of course, it's not like I rode it down there or anything). I bought it from a great member on here and he had a title for it he got when he bought it new from the dealer so clearly he didn't have any issues either.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sorry about the double post...figured it was already known about to those who were actually looking, but obviously it caught my eye and I had to take a closer look while I was there...

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Sorry about the double post...figured it was already known about to those who were actually looking, but obviously it caught my eye and I had to take a closer look while I was there...
No apologies necessary... That's at Razee's, which is where I take mine to get serviced. When I took it there last year, a bunch of guys from the shop came outside to check it out as they said they'd never seen one before. At that point this thing was still in the crate. What are the odds that of the literal handful of '02 R's in the states, 2 are within 60 miles of each other?

By the way @tyr, what are you doing down in our neck of the woods?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
No need to apologize. If you didn't know about the other thread, it's understandable that you would find it worthy of starting a thread.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I just don't know if I would have the discipline NOT to ride it.
???

Best left for someone else.
Efff that... mine is, without a doubt, the most memorable experience I've ever had on two wheels. Not that I've had or have anywhere near the number of bikes that some of the members of this forum have.

No... for me, it's not a comparative thing, e.g., this one is better than that one. For me, it was more a matter of finally getting to ride something that I had dreamed about for what seemed like an eternity. It was about giving up riding in the 80's when my first son was born, then not riding again for 20 something years, seeing the 916 series when they first started appearing here in the states, lusting after them for years, and then researching and tracking down an '02 748R. I wanted THAT bike... The last of the series. While I had researched the subject very well, I never took a look at production numbers, units sold, so had no idea they were as rare as hen's teeth on this side of the pond. I had no idea when I decided to get back into riding that it was going to take so long to find the bike I wanted to get back into it with.

I would imagine, or rather I would hope, that the person that ultimately purchases that Ducati, rides the fucking wheels off of it. Because that is what I would do... ;)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I'm a fan of some zero mile bikes. If you have something that it incredibly special and limited, it's nice to have something that exists exactly as it was made with no alteration whatsoever. As mentioned, I have a zero mile 996R and it's exactly as it was out of the crate and that's awesome. Of course I have a second one that I ride regularly (I should make a thread about that bike, actually).

So with that, I'll say that I have seriously considered making a run at this bike.. However, I decided that if I bought this bike, I wouldn't leave it as an unridden bike. I have the correct termis for this in my basement and I was honestly thinking of throwing those on there and making this a fun track day bike. The value of the 748R is in the riding. I love them and they were always a bit of a grail bike for me, along with the 996R and 998R, but it's not a bike I would leave unridden.

By the way, it wouldn't be too difficult to get this bike ready to ride but it should be noted that it would not be cheap, at least by my standards.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I just don't know if I would have the discipline NOT to ride it.
???

Best left for someone else.
10-4! I would SO be thrown in the clink. "But but but... yer honor, it's a 748R! It's criminal to NOT ride the ever lovin' cheese out of it!"

"Nice try son ... license revoked ... next case!"

:crying:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

... btw ... Desimoto, what's up with all that chinese writin' in your posts? ...

:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 748R left Razee's last Saturday for $15,000, destined for a new home in New Jersey. Hopefully the new owner keeps it as-is. It's never had a battery fitted, nor fuel in the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts