Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in Germany and have been searching here (and surrounding areas) for a 748R to buy. Over the last couple of months I have encountered a number of prospects (both private and dealer) and I'm surprised at the number of models where the the seller's claim of the model year, and the characteristics of the bike, did not match the year indicated by the VIN (10th char as indicated in that VIN thread here in the forum).

For example, a few models I've checked out the seller claimed was a 2001, the bike had 2001 components - front/rear Ohlins, CF airbox, number plaque on yoke (which I'm told really started for '01 models)...yet the 10th char in the VIN was a Y, indicating 2000 MY. And now I just found a nice low-mileage yellow 748R, dealer claims is a 2002, has body-colored mirrors, front/rear Ohlins, CF airbox, number plaque, slab fairing, black side swoosh under the seat...all chatacteristics of a 2002 model, yet the 10th char in the VIN is a 1, saying it's a 2001 model.

So now I'm just wondering what the heck is going on. :mad: Sure, previous owners could have upgraded components to bring the bike to the next year's spec, but I just have to ask here - are Ducati VINs ironclad and reliable? Do I take the VINs as the final say in the model year?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
production of a my begins in late august / september of the year before. so anything 09/00 onward is a 01 my bike.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My SPS also has this "feature". 1999, still "W" in the VIN. I concluded in my research that it is manufacturing year, not model year. Hasn't bothered me since. I know what I ride, despite a letter on a frame.

Bonus pic.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Owners Manual states that the year encoded into the VIN is the year of manufacture.

The Certificate of Origin is used by to Ducati to specify the model year that is being sold. The Vehicle Title and vehicle registration paperwork is then generated using the model year on the Certificate of Origin. So the Title is the proper source of the vehicle model year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I am currently in Germany and have been searching here (and surrounding areas) for a 748R to buy. Over the last couple of months I have encountered a number of prospects (both private and dealer) and I'm surprised at the number of models where the the seller's claim of the model year, and the characteristics of the bike, did not match the year indicated by the VIN (10th char as indicated in that VIN thread here in the forum).

For example, a few models I've checked out the seller claimed was a 2001, the bike had 2001 components - front/rear Ohlins, CF airbox, number plaque on yoke (which I'm told really started for '01 models)...yet the 10th char in the VIN was a Y, indicating 2000 MY. And now I just found a nice low-mileage yellow 748R, dealer claims is a 2002, has body-colored mirrors, front/rear Ohlins, CF airbox, number plaque, slab fairing, black side swoosh under the seat...all chatacteristics of a 2002 model, yet the 10th char in the VIN is a 1, saying it's a 2001 model.

So now I'm just wondering what the heck is going on. :mad: Sure, previous owners could have upgraded components to bring the bike to the next year's spec, but I just have to ask here - are Ducati VINs ironclad and reliable? Do I take the VINs as the final say in the model year?
A couple of things that you may not be aware of... Euro VIN's are configured differently than those in the US. I have an '02 Euro 748R and while all Ducati's start with ZDM, the 4th character in a Euro VIN, at least for all of the Ducati homologation bikes, should be an H. The 10th character, as you've already pointed out, is the MY, the 11th is the location where the bike was produced, e.g., B is Bologna, V is Varese, etc. The thread linked below details the VIN's quite well...

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/1076906-post11.html

Not sure what is going on with the '02 you looked at, but you are correct... that VIN would indicate that it was built in '01.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My SPS also has this "feature". 1999, still "W" in the VIN. I concluded in my research that it is manufacturing year, not model year. Hasn't bothered me since. I know what I ride, despite a letter on a frame.
Yeah, I get what you mean. If I finally find one, I'm not going to really care what the VIN says. It was just that I didn't like how the bikes' components - as I've learned from this forum - weren't squaring with the year according to the VIN. Thought maybe some were trying to rip me off by trying to pass it as a later model. I don't mind an older model, just don't want to get duped. Also, possibly buying here in a foreign continent, guess I'm being a little more diligent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of things that you may not be aware of... Euro VIN's are configured differently than those in the US. I have an '02 Euro 748R and while all Ducati's start with ZDM, the 4th character in a Euro VIN, at least for all of the Ducati homologation bikes, should be an H. The 10th character, as you've already pointed out, is the MY, the 11th is the location where the bike was produced, e.g., B is Bologna, V is Varese, etc. The thread linked below details the VIN's quite well...
Yeah, I did notice the H in the VINs here and I did just figure it was a Euro thing, but definitely thanks for confirming that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Owners Manual states that the year encoded into the VIN is the year of manufacture.

The Certificate of Origin is used by to Ducati to specify the model year that is being sold. The Vehicle Title and vehicle registration paperwork is then generated using the model year on the Certificate of Origin. So the Title is the proper source of the vehicle model year.
Are you saying then that it's possible the VIN year stamped on the frame can be different from the year listed in the paperwork? So it is possible that the '02 I was looking at (with all seemingly '02 components) can have an '01 VIN? Maybe perhaps it was manufactured in latter '01, but intended for sale as an '02, as an above reply noted?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are you saying then that it's possible the VIN year stamped on the frame can be different from the year listed in the paperwork? So it is possible that the '02 I was looking at (with all seemingly '02 components) can have an '01 VIN? Maybe perhaps it was manufactured in latter '01, but intended for sale as an '02, as an above reply noted?
Correct.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
it's much easier (in one regard) in australia as we have compliance plates with the build date expressed as month and year.

if the plate has 09/00, it'll be a 01 model year spec bike, made in sept 00. simple. and you know it's a 01 my bike because it has the newer style clutch slave and the engine covers are silver, not green.

we had a lot of 01 996 come through as 08/00 - must have got back into it early after the holidays that year - and every time we did a crash repair on one the idiots quoting would order 00 my parts - clutch cover for instance, and when it came in it was green, not silver like the bike was.

isn't usa car model year and production year much the same as this?

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Excellent dude!...the '02 748R is back on the list! :yeah:
You won't be sorry... not sure what your plans are for the fueling map, but the OEM chip in my ECU was swapped to the Factory Pro and it is a completely transformed machine. I've no idea if they still sell them, but it's worth looking into if you plan to spend any time at all riding on the street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You won't be sorry... not sure what your plans are for the fueling map, but the OEM chip in my ECU was swapped to the Factory Pro and it is a completely transformed machine. I've no idea if they still sell them, but it's worth looking into if you plan to spend any time at all riding on the street.
I've been taking it step-by-step, so first I've been concentrating on finding a machine, then to have it shipped back, imported, etc. The latter is almost sorted out. Finding one has been the harder bit. Hopefully if it all works out, I'll update here, then hopefully hit you up for tech advice.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
....For example, a few models I've checked out the seller claimed was a 2001, the bike had 2001 components - front/rear Ohlins, CF airbox, number plaque on yoke (which I'm told really started for '01 models)...yet the 10th char in the VIN was a Y, indicating 2000 MY...

If I remember correctly, vehicles in Germany are mainly advertised with “EZ” or “Erstzulassung”, which is the date it was first registered for street use.

Hence, it sounds correct that the seller may advertise the vehicle as a i.e. 2001 but the VIN indicates it as a build MY ‘00.

At least that’s how it was about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I've been taking it step-by-step, so first I've been concentrating on finding a machine, then to have it shipped back, imported, etc. The latter is almost sorted out. Finding one has been the harder bit. Hopefully if it all works out, I'll update here, then hopefully hit you up for tech advice.
I'll be interested to hear about the import process... mine is a Euro '02, imported by the original owner, who I purchased it from. From his description getting that thing into the US was no trivial matter, however, he went through that in '02. These are 17 year old bikes at this point... it's gotta be significantly easier.

·
Matt
685 Posts
I'll be interested to hear about the import process... mine is a Euro '02, imported by the original owner, who I purchased it from. From his description getting that thing into the US was no trivial matter, however, he went through that in '02. These are 17 year old bikes at this point... it's gotta be significantly easier.
Import into the US is challenging at the current moment (different than other countries). For the US you can get an exemption from the EPA/DOT requirement if the bike is greater than 25 years old. Or if the bike was originally sold in the US and has a US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame you can bring it back without a problem. Or if it's a model that is US EPA/DOT compliant that was sold in another country and lacks the US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame, Ducati North America can write you a letter certifying the bike's compliance. But if it's less than 25 years old, doesn't have a US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame, and Ducati isn't able to provide a letter - - it cannot come in. The exception would be to import it as a race bike (which can be done, but you need a customs broker that is familiar with that) or to import it in pieces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No one maybe noticed my location, but my home base is Toronto, Canada. I've just been working throughout Europe the last year and a half. Canada has a 15-year exemption rule for vehicle imports, so anything older than 15 years can go right in, opposed to the 25-year rule present in the US, as XLR8R noted. Of course there are requirements to be met but if it's a vehicle that's already on the road, there's generally no problem. My current daily is a Suzuki RGV250 2T that I imported in the mid-00's right at its 15th year since manufacture and it got in. It's even possible to import vehicles younger than 15 years, but then more requirements have to be met, mostly having to do with safety.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Import into the US is challenging at the current moment (different than other countries). For the US you can get an exemption from the EPA/DOT requirement if the bike is greater than 25 years old. Or if the bike was originally sold in the US and has a US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame you can bring it back without a problem. Or if it's a model that is US EPA/DOT compliant that was sold in another country and lacks the US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame, Ducati North America can write you a letter certifying the bike's compliance. But if it's less than 25 years old, doesn't have a US EPA/DOT sticker on the frame, and Ducati isn't able to provide a letter - - it cannot come in. The exception would be to import it as a race bike (which can be done, but you need a customs broker that is familiar with that) or to import it in pieces.
Wow... that sounds brutal Matt. How difficult is it to get one of these "letters" for a bike without a US EPA/DOT sticker? Whilst working in the UK, I've seen several mint NC-35's and prior to going there I had my eye on some TZR-250SPR's, none of which were ever sold here, and I would imagine, therefore lacking said "sticker"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts