Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem has been ongoing for months now. Did a trackday on my 2002 748R, ran fine, took the bike out a couple of days later....only running on one cylinder. Look under the tank to see whats going on... the front cylinder is not getting fuel. Changed fuel filter, fuel lines are good etc. If I swap the injector plugs around, the problem changes to the rear injector. Fuel pump primes, relays and all fuses good, TPS has been measured... 150Mv at closed throttle. Continuity in all wiring. Suspected a dodgy ECU, tried a different ECU (from a 748S) wouldn't even turn fuel pump on. Can't find an ECU from a 748R, which actually says 916 Biposto on the back.
As the problem switches between front and rear, if you change the injector plugs over, it has to be electrical? I am all out of ideas and has some of my mechanical friends baffled too. Can anyone help please?

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Double Check continuity between offending injector and ecu all good then. Check if you have a signal from the ecu. Try changing chip if you have one.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
As the problem switches between front and rear, if you change the injector plugs over, it has to be electrical? I am all out of ideas and has some of my mechanical friends baffled too. Can anyone help please?
This is what I would suspect as well. You could try swapping the injectors as well as a check. Before you start down the path of doing a partial harness assembly replacement/repair I would follow @xracer 's suggestion as well.

I had a similar issue 2 seasons ago, and after a good 2 weeks of chasing the problem I ended up having to swap out the ECU.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i have seen injector drivers die on 1.6m. once only from memory, but it can happen.

check the loom from injector to ecu. if the loom has continuity, i'm guessing it's an ecu.

borrowed ecu not running the pump is strange. anything from a 748, 916, 996, st2, st4 should work straight up, just maybe not run so well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had same symptoms on my 916, which I bough none running.
After doing all the above mentioned tests/checks, I found out that the DAPO had the eprom installed the wrong way, which fried it.
Replacing the eprom fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input, yes I think it does point to the ecu, just need to find one from a 748R, or put my "bad" one in a known good bike...but 748R's are getting rare! I will update once the problem is solved.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
@Stray Dog ... prudence dictates that great care and good research be conducted on your part at this point. Just a heads up with regards to the 748 series ECU's. They are not the same from year to year.

Having gone down this road with the same issue a couple of seasons ago I can tell you that the ECU that is used on the '02 R is unique to that model and year, at least with regards to the 748. The part number you are looking for is:

286.4.038.1A Injection Control Unit

I've not been able to source all of the parts catalogues for each of the model years and types, but what I have been able to find is that from 2000 to 2002, the 748 line uses a minimum of 4 different ECU part numbers. So again, just take your time and be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
have you seen them used in ducatis? i know a few guys were trying them in p7/p8 applications, and found they were killing starter clutches. haven't heard of anyone using a 1.6m.
I have personally seen one but have spoken to the guy on more than one occasion. Seems to be very switched on. In the process is getting one for, funnily enough, my 748R. I’ll note that Brad, but I don’t think that the start up procedure is any harder to sort out then any other aftermarket ecu.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
not sure what it was about the starter clutch issue, but a few guys had it who were trying them in 851/888 and they gave it up because they were destroying them repeatedly in a thousand km or so. the b version of the p7 eproms had some software changes that duane told me was to stop starter clutch issues the early injected bikes had. duane said it was how they turned them off, not about actually starting. sounded like one of those sideline clusterfucks that no one expected.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Not heard of that problem Brad. I can’t see there would be a problem if he’s lifted the slow crank/startup setup straight out of the standard (later model) program.
I remember years ago when I would visit Duane and learning how difficult build an ECU from scratch was and all the little things that would drive him nuts, especially the replacement 59m unit he was working on. I learnt SO much from him. I miss going to Lavers Hill and tormenting his dogs😃

·
Registered
39 Posts
have you seen them used in ducatis? i know a few guys were trying them in p7/p8 applications, and found they were killing starter clutches. haven't heard of anyone using a 1.6m.
I have a unit in my '98 916. Like the OP, my 916 would only run on a single cylinder and it followed the plug around when I swapped. I determined it was a bad injector driver in the ECU. I couldn't find a cheap enough 1.6 unit so I went with the myecu solution. Took a bit of tuning - I reversed engineered the Senna 916 .bin file - but I've had it going for 2 or 3 years now.

John

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
and no starter clutch issues? i'm not sure what was going on with the others, but it's nice to have first hand experience.

1.6m are getting pretty pricey, and hard to find.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts