Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Hi everyone, my 2002 748R has i think a 45mm full system Termignonis but when i checked my ecu chip it's still a stock unit. Where can i purchase a specific chip for the exhaust? I saw some on ebay with the label Ducati Performance 08054/15 or 16 but i still need some feedback...:confused:

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Probably the most popular chip for the R is a Factory Pro chip and they are the easiest to find. I cannot speak for the DP chips that are on ebay, but I would be careful with these chips. The next problem is finding someone that can tune the chip properly for your bike. I had a Factory Pro chip but my mechanic did not have the software to tune the chip properly. The first dyno run performed had the bike at 75 rwhp and it was running extremely rich. I was lucky enough to get a Doug Lofgren tuned chip for my R and the last dyno run had the bike at 107 rwhp. I have a Termi 50 mil half system on mine with no other engine mods.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...I guess i'll have to find someone in my place with a knowhow regarding the eprom chip before purchasing, i thought they are plug n play...thanks hirschey.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Factory Pro's EPROM was the only one that made my 2001 748R streetable...

I have a FIM chip for the R sitting unused in my garage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi prophet i just so happen to ask my brother to check the ecu, no wonder i'm still stumbling at 5-6k rpm hehehe...and my exhausts are not 45mm they were 50mm half system the fuelling is lean. @rick- are they just drop in and go chip? what is your exhaust?

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
hi prophet i just so happen to ask my brother to check the ecu, no wonder i'm still stumbling at 5-6k rpm hehehe...and my exhausts are not 45mm they were 50mm half system the fuelling is lean. @rick- are they just drop in and go chip? what is your exhaust?
The same, Termi 50mm half system. No issues, I've not had her out yet this summer, but last year she pulled fine right up to the top.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Arrow half system. The EPROMS are drop n go really. After install, simply adjust idle mixture (via Idle Pot Setting/IPS)... Then go love your 748R as it will now be rideable... ?

Factory Pro 800 869-0497 Ducati, 748r, fuel injection tuning chip dyno eprom, map, custom mapping, fuel injection, tuning, factory pro, shift kit, ignition

Mark's a stand up guy... Give them a call.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys i'll place an order soon they are almost 400 dollars each right now, gonna get one fast. I almost sell my 748R because i really felt uncomfortable riding it in traffic, it just bogs down sometimes when closing the throttle.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i woudn't say the 748r is particularly sensitive to set up compared to the rest of the range. but they have a couple of isues with the std and dp eproms that you can't overcome and that makes them frustrating. we only had one 748r of the quite a lot we sold that rode nicely with a dp eprom, and i have no idea why it did. altho it was serviced at one point without the idle mixture being done on each cylinder individually and 2% on one and 6% on the other was enough for the owner to come back and complain.

i respectfully disagree with marc that his eprom is the only one the civilises the 748r. i'm not sure if he specifies any sort of baseline set up requirements with them, but this is also one of the compounding issues.

it occured to me while i was hanging out some washing this morning that issues like this can also be distinguished somewhat by the varied approaches of tuner versus owner. if you brought me a 748r that wasn't running well i'd most likely replace the eprom. but before that i'd check the tps baseline setting, set the idle speed and mixture, maybe do the fuel filter and check inside the tank and under the pump for crap, check the belt tension, etc. and because i know the eprom works if it still ran badly i'd look deeper.

but owners generally don't have the experience and knowledge and equipment (no one i know has a 4 gas analyser in the garage) so it becomes a case of swapping eproms and hoping one works. and often those that don't "plug and play" get an undeserved reputation. i ocaisionally get people who i sell eproms to complaining that it doesn't work well, and if i can tell they have no idea or ability with regard to the basic set up requirements i just offer them a full refund and get the eprom back. that way i don't have the ongoing headaches of trying to make it work remotely.

which is another huge issue. i often recommend people fit power commanders just because that's all the local support they have. it won't fix all the 748r issues, but on many bikes it's a significan't step in the right direction and most importantly one that is available. even when i know a good basic set up would fix the issues, not having access to someone to do it or the equipment required makes that a moot point.

you have to work with what you've got available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts