Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the base 748 with the fixed steering head that is my track bike. Currently it has the stock SSSA, Sachs shock and Showa forks with 4 pad calipers and a 1098 master. I'm saving up to change this stuff out, but wouldn't mind ideas on paths to take. It's for track performance and aesthetics.

For the rear:
I want to replace the rear shock with a better unit. Either a refreshed stock 996/998 Ohlins or a DU143 that has the hydraulic preload adjuster. I'll get which ever sprung for 170#s. Just waiting for a good deal to come up to make that decision...UNLESS the DU143 is a whole lot better...is it?

Now for the front!
I'm looking for used 848/11x8 forks since Ohlins 996/998 aren't up for sale a lot. I considered the newer model Showas with an Ohlins cartridge and I'll do the whole radial monoblock conversion. I'd rather get a used Ohlins set though. Here's the kicker, if I get a used set of Ohlins from a 1x98, I'll need the 56mm lower. I'm seeing a lot of offset triples that would make this possible, but would they work with a non adjustable steering head and make the bike handle better? Or is it better to stick with a 53mm set of forks? I wouldn't mind spending extra money on triples if it will help out a lot.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
697 Posts
You would need to get a new steering stem to make it work, I put Ohlins on my base 748 and had to go that route. Fran

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Get a used Ohlins shock and have it serviced and sprung. You don't need hydraulic preload--that's really only useful if you're carrying a passenger sometimes or different riders. Have the forks rebuilt with upgraded internals. They will outperform "stock" Ducati Ohlins. At the track, people are more impressed by someone passing them on the outside than gold sliders with a little blue sticker. I've used the 4 pad calipers and the radial monoblocks--no need to waste your money on the newer ones. Instead, upgrade the master cylinder and some nice fully floating rotors (maybe cast iron).

748's don't make enough power to need the longer swingarm and offset triples are really designed to be used with the steeper steering angle that you don't have anyway, so probably not much to be gained there either. Stick with sorting out the suspension and the right brake upgrades and then spoon on the stickiest tires you can find and be done with it.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I spoke with Kyle Racing through email and got some good answers there too. Since I got the money I probably will go with Ohlins forks after this deployment with adjustable triples. Passing on the outside will look even better then:) I don't ever plan on getting the extended swinger, but I do plan on getting a 996 frame to powder coat gold to match the magnesium rims and do an 853 kit at the same time. I wanted to make sure I could be compatible in the meantime with the E frame. This was my first bike and I don't plan on letting it go. I think it looks pretty good for being 12 years old.

·
Registered
327 Posts
get a used ohlins shock and have it serviced and sprung. You don't need hydraulic preload--that's really only useful if you're carrying a passenger sometimes or different riders. Have the forks rebuilt with upgraded internals. They will outperform "stock" ducati ohlins. At the track, people are more impressed by someone passing them on the outside than gold sliders with a little blue sticker. I've used the 4 pad calipers and the radial monoblocks--no need to waste your money on the newer ones. Instead, upgrade the master cylinder and some nice fully floating rotors (maybe cast iron).

748's don't make enough power to need the longer swingarm and offset triples are really designed to be used with the steeper steering angle that you don't have anyway, so probably not much to be gained there either. Stick with sorting out the suspension and the right brake upgrades and then spoon on the stickiest tires you can find and be done with it.
+1

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Once you get the adjustable head 996 frame it makes more sense to do the offset triples. When doing the 853 kit, you might as well drop in some 996SPS cams. THAT would be a fun track motor! Revvy and beastly. Of course, then you might need that corse swingarm. It's a slippery slope.

Btw, the bike looks terrific.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Yeah, I'll keep my eye open for cams. I'm going to get more body work, the nose and upper are CF now and look great, but I won't be too happy if I bin it.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered R/T forks for an 848, M4 monoblocks, 748r EBC rotors and all associated hardware. Already have 1098 master cylinders. Should look pretty good. Also picked up a mono sub, and waiting for payment info for a new rear shock. Next up is an adjustable frame, triples and 853 kit. And of course, plastics that aren't nearly as nice as what I have on it.

Surfing the interwebs while deployed gets expensive!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Sorry to sound like an asswad, but loose the 748 and get a better base.
998S, R or FE, 996R.

Imo the monoblocks are just show off, if you really like to go quick listen to the postings already there.
For show go ahead, if not rethink it.

Realise it may not be what you want to hear, but many of us have already tried what youre attempting.
Not saying you cant do it, just there may be easier, better ways with a bag of doe.
Some have big wallets and my bang per buck opinion worth nothing :)

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's for both, show and go. I like this lil bike and when this deployment is over, it's going to see the track plenty more. If a 998 of 848 fell into my sights in the Vegas area for the right price, I'd consider it, but I'm not looking. This bike has had the 999 4 pads on it for a while. There's no complaints.

To go quick, I'm going to go to school.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
California Superbike School and Jason Pridmore's Star School and any others I can get into. I get back in June and live in Las Vegas, so the local tracks there and in California will be a little too toasty for most. It looks like I won't be able to do any schools until Sept/Oct, but the season is long in our part of the country. I got this silly 450 for practice too. Riding in the dirt is fun and scary for me because it's so loose. I got it to translate those lessons to the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts