Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I think I’ve read in this forum that Ducati 748 and 916 have the same engine just that 748 has less volume. In the same thread I read that Ducati changed the 916 engine model year 01.
Does the model year 01 of the 916 have the new engine?
Does this engine change also apply for the 748 model and the model year 01?
Are there advantages to the newer or older engine?

Interested because I’m thinking about buying me a 748.
Grateful for any help I can get on this issue.

Are there anything special that I should look for when I'm lkking at/testing the 748?

BR
Andreas

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Correct.

The 748 and 916 are the exact same bike, except the engine displacment on the 748 is 748cc and the 916 has 916cc

In -99 Ducati changed the 916 to the 996 which has a 996cc engine. There is no bike with the 916 name made in -01.

There is no diffrence between the -01 produced 748 except on the 748R model, which has a diffrent injection system with shower injectors. But that is true also on earlier 748R models like the -00.

The biggest advantage would be in a -99 or later 748 because it has a newer charging system that is less prone to failing. Also later then -01 models seem to have less problems with flaking rockerarms.

//amullo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also later then -01 models seem to have less problems with flaking rockerarms.
This meens that I should get a 02 or 03 to get the best version of a 748?
Or does your comment above include the 01?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hej... I have a 02 with low miles and all kinds of problems! So I think if I was you I would not only look for a 01/02 but go as low miles as you can go and make sure the rider was not running it really hard. I know the Goteborg area so I doubt you have the pick of the litter in bikes but I would be VERY hesitant in buying one without seeing it in person and most important is taking it to a mechanic to have it inspected, this includes opening it and inspecting rockers!!!

Also consider a 949 if you like them... they have less of the issues the 748 had. Just my opinion...

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Jag har en kompis som skall släja sin välunderhållna -96 748 här i Stockholm. Klar fördel eftersom -98 och äldre hojar har mycket bra försäkringskostnad. Typ 4k SEK HEL/HEL

Or in English..

A mate of mine is selling his 748 here in Stockholm. Its a -96 but well maintained. A good year since the older bikes have a very nice insurance cost, about 4k SEK per year, full coverage.

//amullo

·
Registered
572 Posts
The last My of 748 has a slightly different engine. It is sometimes called "testabassa". In fact, the head has a different outer shape than the previous desmoquattro. You can find this desmoquattro in S4, S4R, ST4, ST4S and 2002 748 and 748S. Have in mind this "testabassa" is NOT a Testastretta. The 748R had not these testabassa heads.

The more reliable 748 and 748S are these 2002 my. You can recognize them to their flat sided fairings, the very same you find on 998. You can have rockers issue, but far less flywheel nut troubles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts