Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a hell of deal of a Ducati (well i think it is). I found a 748 for about 4k. It has about 11k miles done one and has all the services done to it. Is this a great deal for a 748? I am checkin it out this weekend. What should I look for on a Ducati like engine or frame wise? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I have no direct experience with the 748 but I do know that some had flaking rockers. What year is this bike? Any mods done to it? Private or dealer sale?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
There's a thread in the Hall of Wisdom that covers just about everything you ever thought ot ask (and those you didn't) about buying a used SBK. You may want to start there....As for the price, it seems like the bulk of the 748 bikes are running in the $4000-$5500 range. Once you start hitting $5000 and higher, you start getting into the 916/996/749 range. Once you start going over $7500, its a whole new ballgame.

I have no direct experience with the 748 but I do know that some had flaking rockers.
All desmoquattros had a potential to have chrome issues.....but the 748 seems to be the most prone.

I just pulled all eight rockers out of my spare 748 heads to get Megacycled. With my 2002 748, I changed four rockers at 6000 miles and at 18k, just opening up the horizontal head resulted in two more I want to change. I haven't even looked at the vertical head, yet, so I'm just going to replace all 8 opener rockers (the most prone to flaking chrome).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts