Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 748 was sitting on a Ducati brand battery tender. I haven't ridden it in a few weeks. It was completely dead.

My brother jump started it from his bike. Also a Ducati. Now it has full power but won't even crank.

Lights, gauges all of it. Turn the key and the fuel pump kicks on and pressurized. Press the starter button and nothing. Lights dim very slightly but doesn't even try to turn the starter. No clicking. Nothing.

I'm so perplexed.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
As Mark said, and can you short the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver and get it to crank? I assume it was all good two weeks ago?

Craig

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All fuses are good. Nothing looks blown. I've not tried checking out the selonoid yet. I'll try that next.

It was perfectly fine two weeks ago. The battery is a Yuasa and is about 6 months old.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Get your multimeter out and start tracing the power from the + terminal on the battery. I can provide you with a waring diagram if you don't have one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stating the obvious, but try a new battery.
Dead or semi dead batteries do all kinds of funny things.
I have a 1098, always on tender. Took it out a few weeks ago, all good, started as it should. Went to a race track to watch a friend, bike did sit for 3 hours. Tried to start, it cranked over but did not fire up.
Wife came and trailered it home. Next day got a new battery and no problem since.
Eventually they just die, tender and all.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
I'll almost guarantee it's the small white connector at the solenoid not fully seated on it's pins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get your multimeter out and start tracing the power from the + terminal on the battery. I can provide you with a waring diagram if you don't have one.
I do not have one. Please do provide it. I'm at work now but will get on it tomorrow.

Thank you all so much.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
the white connector doesnt have a clip to hold it in place so comes out some times.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Remove the battery terminals and clean them. Clean them at the battery and at the starter and frame earth points. If you drained the battery all the way it probably has a damaged cell from being deep cycled. You can't fix that by charging the battery.

·
7,654 Posts
the white connector doesnt have a clip to hold it in place so comes out some times.
Yes and I'm betting when your brother jump started it from his car he disturbed that little white connector.

·
7,654 Posts
Remove the battery terminals and clean them. Clean them at the battery and at the starter and frame earth points. If you drained the battery all the way it probably has a damaged cell from being deep cycled. You can't fix that by charging the battery.
If his headlights work like he said they do then it's not the battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well he jump started it from his bike not a car. I'm not sure if that makes a difference though.

I have tomorrow off so I'll start going through things then. I appreciate all the insight thus far.

I'm sure at the least I need a new battery.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
If his headlights work like he said they do then it's not the battery.
Not necessarily. The headlights might work with the key on. But if there's build up on a connection it may cause resistance and the starter won't work properly or the battery may not charge properly while the bike is running. I had the latter happen once.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
another much less common problem is the positive wire in the starter could be broken. this happens when the bolt spins while trying to remove the nut holding the cable.

Reactions: Serious Black

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help so far. All the wires look clean and connections are good.

Put a new battery in and its still the same. Power but starter button does nothing.

It started twice and ran and died when my brother jump started it. Now it does nothing. I work many hours. My next step is to use a multimeter and check everything that way using the picture someone was nice enough to post here.

I'll also check the starter solenoid again.

All fuses and relays seem fine. Nothing is blown or burned out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Jump starting can be a bad thing. You can short out the ecu or fuses even fry some wires if connected wrong or short the positive the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I hate to sound like Captain Obvious, but as it would appear that you have checked everything else, have you looked at the starter switch itself?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts