Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got timing belts done and valves checked and I started it and drove home (took a few cranks to do so) today

So I went out a couple of hours later (same story starting it) and I notice the 748 was stalling at 6 to 7k RPM WHEN IN GEAR but idled fine otherwise. Also, it would rev fine to up redline when NOT IN GEAR. Weird, I thought

Here comes the good partAfter I was done, I went to crank and it didn t want to start. I tried to jump start it with a booster from another bike and it cranked strong still but still no turn-over. I also tried to clutch bump-start it and no luck

My fuel filter was done a hundred miles ago and is brand new like the belts.

Any insight is much appreciated.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Since your fuel sound like it's flowing, check your Timing Sensor (Crank Position Sensor). I don't think it would have caused your other problems (they do sound fuel-flow related) but I know that the engine will just crank away if it is not plugged in completely.
If not that, it sounds like if your air/fuel ratio was changed (little potentiometer in your ECU near the chip) that could have caused the same problem. Even though that pot can rotate through ~270 degrees, my bike only has a range of ~10-15 degrees of rotation where the bike will run at all. WARNING!!!: If that hasn't been messed with and your bike isn't currently running, DON'T TURN IT! You'll probably never find the range where your bike will run again! I only mention the mixture pot since, if it had been messed with, the symptoms fit.

If these suggestions don't work, go back to the tried and true...
air, fuel, spark. If these are happening, usually the bike will run. Find out which one is missing and go from there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it was the fuel pressure regulator.
Shop guy was nice enough to unclog it of some debris for me.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: if you're in colubmus OH, check out www.wbsfab.com (Ask for Paul)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts