Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy question i hope, which oil should i put in my 2003 748 here in the uk. Owners manual says agip super t and the haynes manual lists four different viscosities. Give us a clue?
Thanks again.
Neil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Probably all of the above. I'd use Mobil 1 Racing 4T (15W-40?) if I wanted to run a bike-specific oil. It is apparently easy to find. I personally run Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic automobile oil, aka "Red Cap". It's recently been changed to a longer life formula over here and has a gold cap.

Since the clutch is dry (and there is debate over the wet clutch slippage anyway), you can run any oil you bloody well please. I like the M1 because it is available in every Wal-Mart and it has been great in all of my cars. It has made several idle faster even with the computer controlling the idle speed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
dunlop0_1 said:
Easy question i hope, which oil should i put in my 2003 748 here in the uk. Owners manual says agip super t and the haynes manual lists four different viscosities. Give us a clue?
Thanks again.
Neil.
Just pick your favorite synthetic in a weight that corresponds to your climate and go with it... It really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Note : In the Haynes manual it says to use SAE :
10W40
10W50
20W40
20W50

BUT then in the picture they use 15W50 :think:

You gotta love it.......

I personally use Motul 300V 15W50 in my 996 both when I was in Illinois and still out here in California.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Here is a stupid Question.....

What if you fill over the recommended line and run the bike?

I know you will say let some out but....I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what sits in the oil pan and what doesn't?

BTW same bike as listed below!

·
Registered
409 Posts
This one will be strange to some I think...

I use Royal Purple Racing 41 (10W40 eq)

I have had the Dealer put in various oils, whatever they thought was great at the time of my service...Amsoil being one of them.

In my case I find them all to be garbage when it come to shifting. I get dramatic shift improvement, meaning no missed gears, when I switched to Royal Purple 41. I know it isn't bike specific which they now offer but didn't when I started using it.

That is just my two cents. I have changed my oil myself right after the dealer did it just for this reason.

Mike
2000 748 Bip

·
Registered
263 Posts
sorry, I don't buy it...

I've used a myriad of oils, synthetic and conventional, in my Ducatis over the years and never had any shifting problems. That goes for everything from air cooled 2-valvers to the latest Testrastrettas. I've even used Royal Purple in my 748, I saw no discernable difference.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mattjw916 said:
sorry, I don't buy it...

I've used a myriad of oils, synthetic and conventional, in my Ducatis over the years and never had any shifting problems. That goes for everything from air cooled 2-valvers to the latest Testrastrettas. I've even used Royal Purple in my 748, I saw no discernable difference.

I have seen SEVERE differences in shifting from oil to oil. BCM uses Klotz and that shifts great. I tried Golden Spectro and holy shit the bike felt like a POS. HARD shifting and lots of noise, also a false neutral appeared from 3-4. Switched back and problem solved.

Seen the same thing on my Japanese bikes in the past.

-CC

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
I use a good 15-50W fully synthetic oil. That weight seems to work good on 748´s. Sorry, but the brand is only sold in Sweden. OKQ8 Superbike 15-50W raceingoil (How can i go wrong with a name like that?)

I´ve had 30.000 miles on my 748 high rev SP without ONE SINGLE ROCKERARM replaced! How is THAT for good oil!

//amullo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Right now I actually have conventional 20W-50 in my 748; it's the BMW-brand stuff that after some searching I discovered is made by Golden Spectro. I don't have any problems with my gearbox at all as a result of this oil. I am ready for another oil change and have a shelf full of 15W-50 BMW synthetic that I also use in my K1200RS, made by Golden Spectro, and something tells me that my bike will run exactly the same with it.

It seems every car and bike forum I visit has the same threads about the various motor oils and are chocked full of speculation and anecdotal evidence that if you use brand "X" you motor will seize or component "X" will fail. I have yet to see any significant data or have any personal experience with the dozen or so vehicles I've owned recently that supports any of these wild claims of significantly increased wear resistance, more horsepower, or improved operation.

Personally, the only vehicle that I obsessively used the manufacturer recommended oil in was my '02 BMW M Roadster which required Castrol TWS 10W-60 synthetic, a rare and expensive oil. The only reason I did that was because there was a fabrication issue that could lead to premature bearing failure in the S54 motor and if you didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations they could potentially deny your warranty claim if you had a failure.

Other than that, I can't see how equal weight oils and the same ambient temperatures are going to have a tangible affect on the rider's experience in the saddle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nobody has to buy it...

...but it works period!

Just telling my story like it is and was...

You can stick with anything you like because I don't care. I don't own your stuff.

Not all oils are the same if they are lets go out and buy Walmart crap and put it in our Ducs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Royal Purple story

I own my own business which has a machine shop. A lathe steady rest has three points (brass) that directly contact a shaft that allows one to work on the end of the shaft or bar you are machining. The operator was using regular oil and the amp draw on the lathe was high and fluctuating even higher. You could hear the lathe straining. Smoke was even rising from the contact points as the bar turned.

Someone suggested using Royal Purple instead. I swear there was immediate improvement! I hate this because I sound like I am pumping them up but it is what I saw. The amp draw on the lathe lowered a dramatic amount. Did we try another oil? No, we simply finished the job.

Now, my anti Royal P story..

I own a BMW330 Ci which has variable cam timing all the time. There has been some crap floating around the net how oil matters with this system and I am starting to believe it is true. When switching from Mobile One 5W30 to RP 5W30 I noticed my gas mileage actually went down. I will also say engine response was down but that isn't so scientific. I plan on switching back to Mobile one (the newly recommended 0W40 on their site).

Why is this happening? I have a few educated guesses but I am waiting until I try all this out.

ANyway..bottom line. Royal Purple 41 made my bike shift so much better than anything the dealer put in so far that I always put it in myself even after the dealer just changed my oil during service... I'd rather buy something else with that money trust me.

Mike
2000 748 Bip w/Yosh 57mm half system

1 - 15 of 15 Posts