Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Australian I presume?
? Nope, Tennessean.

Excellent avatar! And you already eliminated any jokes being upside down.
Thanks! ?
Everybody seems to be impressed with dragging knee on the corners... I take it to a whole new level. When you get your bike completely inverted, well then you are pushing your machine to a whole new level! ?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Well, I hope not to derail the good humor but I'll take a shot at a serious answer.

Short correct answer: check the VIN.

Longer answer: First, there's no description and just one poor picture, no VIN, etc. so we have to guess. Hell, I can't even see if it has the carbon Termi's that the SP would have come with. From that pic it looks like you have a 95-97 bike. There were no SP's officially brought to the US but if you have a '97 the easy way to check is if the cylinder has the "4V DOHC" cast into it like the 916 SPS does.

Honestly, I would be surprised if it's anything other than a normal 748 monoposto.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I hope not to derail the good humor but I'll take a shot at a serious answer.

Longer answer: First, there's no description and just one poor picture, no VIN, etc. so we have to guess. Hell, I can't even see if it has the carbon Termi's that the SP would have come with. From that pic it looks like you have a 95-97 bike. There were no SP's officially brought to the US but if you have a '97 the easy way to check is if the cylinder has the "4V DOHC" cast into it like the 916 SPS does.

Honestly, I would be surprised if it's anything other than a normal 748 monoposto.
Thank you for the info! The cylinders, from the best I recall, just say "Ducati" on them. I figured it was a basic 748 Monoposto, but when I was shopping for some spark plugs, the auto parts stores all seemed to have two models available, a 748 Biposto, and a 748SP. I knew it wasn't a Biposto, which led me to wonder what my model was. It does have carbon fiber exhaust, but could have been added by the previous owner.
How would I know this information by the VIN? Is there a specific code that will be in there? Or perhaps a reference that I can look it up? Thanks again, for all of the info, it has been extremely helpful!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,363 Posts
You go to the Ducati.com website and send them an email with your VIN. You will get a response in a day or two. They're very helpful. Ducati really is a "family."

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the usa got std engined versions of the hotter euro (single seat) models as compensation for ducati not going through the usa emissions homologation. so you guys got what mostly looked like our 748sp with a std motor. like the 888 ltd and sp0 and later 916s and 996s models.

but the sp also had cast iron floating front discs and ohlins shock - not sure if the usa 748 mono got that. the 98-99 had ti rods and 45/50mm half system. from memory the sp motors had a green dot on the top of the lh cases behind the vertical cylinder, as they had the same engine number prefix as the base 748 so there was no other external way to tell the engines apart. they all had different cams.

if it has no midrange power it might be an sp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You go to the Ducati.com website and send them an email with your VIN. You will get a response in a day or two. They're very helpful. Ducati really is a "family."
Sweet! I will contact them tonight. Thanks!

the usa got std engined versions of the hotter euro (single seat) models as compensation for ducati not going through the usa emissions homologation. so you guys got what mostly looked like our 748sp with a std motor. like the 888 ltd and sp0 and later 916s and 996s models.

but the sp also had cast iron floating front discs and ohlins shock - not sure if the usa 748 mono got that. the 98-99 had ti rods and 45/50mm half system. from memory the sp motors had a green dot on the top of the lh cases behind the vertical cylinder, as they had the same engine number prefix as the base 748 so there was no other external way to tell the engines apart. they all had different cams.

if it has no midrange power it might be an sp.
Very interesting! Mine has a Showa rear shock, and floating front rotors, with Brembo two piston calipers on each side.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I just looked, and stand corrected... mine actually does say "4V DOHC" on the heads. Had an unfortunate incident today, where I had to take the tank off, anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I just looked, and stand corrected... mine actually does say "4V DOHC" on the heads. Had an unfortunate incident today, where I had to take the tank off, anyway.
What about the horizontal cylinder that pokes through the V piece? You don't have to take the tank off to see that. They should be cast heads...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about the horizontal cylinder that pokes through the V piece? You don't have to take the tank off to see that. They should be cast heads...
"4V DOHC," as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and floating front rotors, with Brembo two piston calipers on each side.
yours has std semi floating discs (referred to as the "swiss cheese" discs due to the round holes), not the cast iron sp discs.

it will have 4 piston calipers. none of them had 2 piston calipers at the front.
Gotcha. I am thinking in terms of standard automotive (cars), where four piston calipers have four "cylinders" cast into the calipers, themselves (four on the outside of the rotor, and a floating pad on the inside). My bike has two, but I suppose there are two pistons on each side of the rotor, hence a 4-piston caliper.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Has everyone gone insane? Just tell the guy the answer.

It is a stock 1997 Ducati 748 that only one person can sit on.

First year for the 748, only year with those decals. Dark gray levers for old style master cylinders that ended half way through 1998, same timeline for front brake rotors. #1 on the tank. No number plate on the top triple. 45mm caliper spacing.

Great bike. I totaled one just like it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has everyone gone insane? Just tell the guy the answer.

It is a stock 1997 Ducati 748 that only one person can sit on.

First year for the 748, only year with those decals. Dark gray levers for old style master cylinders that ended half way through 1998, same timeline for front brake rotors. #1 on the tank. No number plate on the top triple. 45mm caliper spacing.

Great bike. I totaled one just like it.
Thank you, I like it! Yes, you pegged it, from the #1 wreath, to the levers, to the decals... you described my bike to a tee.
I am sorry to hear that you lost your bike, but glad you are okay! Scary stuff, but bikes can be replaced. Thank you for the info! It is very much appreciated.

???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts