Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story, but 2001 748 track bike. Recently unearthed and installed a used engine (never heard the used engine run).

Runs reasonably well, seems ok. Getting water in the oil. I'm running pure water (track bike) so there's no colored tint to the water in oil.

Yes, I'm sure it's water in the oil and not the common Ducati "milky oil sight glass" because I drain oil and replace filter and the oil looks fine. Then I run the bike for a while and the oil gets milky and light tan and opaque and the level gets higher. Assuming the bike doesn't manufacture its own oil, I can think there's water getting in there.

So I removed the LHS cover and replaced the water pump seal, both the white plastic stationary one and the springy rubber one on the impeller shaft.

Still water in oil, same way, same amount enters. The problem continues.

Pull engine, replace head gaskets.

Same problem.

Runs good, leaks no oil on the ground, leaks no coolant on the ground, there's no oil contamination in the coolant reservoir. Just keeps filling up the crankcase with oil once it's reached operating temperature (when the electric fan kicks on).

Only things I can think of:

1. I messed up the water pump seal install and that's the source.
2. Crack somewhere in internals of engine between the oil side and the water side, not easy to detect and was there when I bought the used engine.

Is there any other place, other than the LHS cover with the water pump impeller, where there is oil on one side and water on the other?

Thanks,
Bob
Seattle, WA

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Well, water travels around the cylinder's and if one of those cylinders has a problem, it could be leaking directly into the oil return shaft back into the motor. Thats super easy to check, plug up the output hole on the cylinders and full the water galleys with water and see if anything leaks out!

You could have a minor leak in the left side engine cover where the water pump resides. Perhaps the seal wasn't installed properly or perhaps the case has a small crack you can't see. Those cases are cheap, I'd just buy one used and replace it. Its better to just do it, then to go back into diagnostic phase and test different avenues. With a new case and shaft seal, you should be fine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
If that doesn't work...

...head gaskets.

·
Registered
272 Posts
when you put the impeller back on did you have to push it in (spring tension) to get the circlip on? We had a 748 not long ago that was doing the same thing and we realized it was because the spring wasn't actually putting pressure on the seal thus not sealing anything. The impeller shaft had some play in it that it wasn't supposed to have. IIRC it was caused by the seal being pushed too far in the hole, I believes its just supposed to sit on the outer lip, not get pushed all the way in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The seal is quite fragile and can be damaged easily, worth a look. You can also get a chemical test done on the coolant that can detect by-products of combustion - that could be worth a shot as it could prove/disprove the head gasket theory........I know that in the UK many repair shops can do that, so it doesn't require sophisticated eqpt

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
water in oil

when you put the impeller back on did you have to push it in (spring tension) to get the circlip on? We had a 748 not long ago that was doing the same thing and we realized it was because the spring wasn't actually putting pressure on the seal thus not sealing anything. The impeller shaft had some play in it that it wasn't supposed to have. IIRC it was caused by the seal being pushed too far in the hole, I believes its just supposed to sit on the outer lip, not get pushed all the way in.
Yes, it had spring tension to put the clip back on.

Thanks,
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts