Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the unthinkable...selling the monster to buy a track bike. The Monster has been a great bike but a track bike it is not.

My budget allows me to consider a late model 748 or an early model 749. In this part of the world they are worth roughly the same; the 748 will come in a about 1k cheaper. Both bikes will be in stock form with exhaust only.

Can someone who has ridden them both on the street or track offer any advice on the differences in the bikes? I know the 749 has a little more power but what else is different between the bikes from a riders perspective.

Any other advice on the tunablility, service issues, parts availability etc. is also greatly appreciated. I am running the bike in the Ducati Cup up here which has a 118hp limit. Big power is not important, although I would like the option to reliably get up to the HP limit over the next couple years (Duc shop here I come!).

I did a search to see if I could find a related discussion but came up with too much material to read. If this discussion already exists please point me there.

Thanks,
KNG

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
jrockcolors has a nice 749S in the classifieds for a good price... go with the 749, better built. The S, in particular, has the better tapered cotters. A PITA to adjust the closers, but they rarely move once set

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I too would go with the 749. I've owned a 748R/749R/848 and if it were up to me, I'd go with the newest thing possible. The 748 is a great bike, don't get me wrong... but its too out dated to be competitive.

If it were me; 2005/2006 749S. The earlier 749's (non-R's) were so-so, pretty under powered if you ask me. jrockcolors bike is great, its the right way to go and its already got track fairings! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have both bikes and would recommend the 749 over the 748. 749 is much more easier to ride fast then the 748.....it makes better power through the rev range and has a better transmission! The seating position is easyier on the hands as well!

·
Registered
292 Posts
jrockcolors has a nice 749S in the classifieds for a good price... go with the 749, better built. The S, in particular, has the better tapered cotters. A PITA to adjust the closers, but they rarely move once set
Thanks Bella. I rode both bikes and both are great. The nice thing about the 749 is the parts are a little newer and just as easy to come across. With some of the older 748s you may have to put a lot of money into things like swing arm bearings and other stuff as they start to show age. I think it really comes down to how much you want to work on the bike. If you find a clean 748 that has been taken care of and the price was right, it's an amazing bike to ride. If you want to be in the 118 Hp range, I would go the 749S route on maintance alone.

I think Tye raced a 748 last season, he would be the one to speak on this.
With my 749R, I pretty much just look at mine, change the oil and am sometimes able to win Wera open twins races on it - it's a definitely a competitive bike, even against the 10/1198s.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I heard some very respected racers and mechanics favor 996/748 chassis geometry over 999/749. Personally I cannot comment on XX9's handling. I've got a 996 dedicated to the track and love it. Compared to tracking my S4R its a dream, rails the corners without effort. Breaking hard into corners it only mildly resists but is obedient and predictable and never fights comming hard out of corners. Compared to the S4R handling feels almost lazy, probably because it a fair bit heavier. The only caution I would have agiant a 748 track bike are the notorious rockers, plan on spending some money or time at the end of the season servicing the top end. 748 cams have a pretty high lift profile and the engines revs pretty high, these two factors lead to a more abusive environmet on the rockers, 749's have a more reliable top end.

Either way I think you'll be happy.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I love the desmoquatro's. I plan to keep the SPS forever and I doubt I'll ever own a 749/999. That said, if my sole purpose was track riding, I would definitely choose the 749. Those bikes are superior in so many ways. For my purposes (a lot of street, some track, a little cafe posing), I was content to throw money, elbow grease, carbon fiber, titanium, and swedish technology at my 748. The bike is a legend. An icon. It will be preserved and loved long after 749's have gone the way of the Edsel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts