Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 748 tank mounted to my Honda NT650. Yesterday at work it was around 100 degrees F and my kickstand punched a hole into the parking lot. My bike tipped over and the mount I'm using at the front looked tweaked. I just got the tank off to take a look at it and now it seems that the slight side impact that the tank got when the bike fell over is causing a leak at one of the threads at the front of the tank for the front mount. It's a very small weeping leak.

I'm thinking I'll have to re-line the inside with Caswell or POR-15 for the best solution (I had planned on doing this once I had my other bike on the road) to try to seal it back up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I had thought I could maybe apply some sealant to the bolt before remounting the front tab in hopes that it would stop any fuel from leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue on a 748/9** tank?

Thank you,
Andy

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Maybe some red locktite? Idk how well plumbers teflon tape would hold up to fuel but its good at sealing threads. Sounds like the housing for the threads that protrudes into the tank maybe cracked?

Hope you get it sorted. My kickstand punched a hole at work but I got lucky and wasnt deep enough to make it tip. Sucks dude.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of using some PTFE pasted thread sealant. I used the paste thread sealant when i threaded the quick disconnect into the pump housing.

Here's a picture of the leak. You can see how it's seeping out from the top portion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts