Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I`m totally new on this forum,as well in the Ducati world.I just get my first Ducati 748 in my life.This bike is just amazing.Anyway I just want to take out the swingarm,because it`s not the best looking one.I don`t have wheel stand but I figured it does not do anything about taking the swingarm.I would lift up the bike with my jack,but it`s just not working,because the crankcase bottom is not flat.Is there a special jack out there,which I can jack the whole bike up safe and sound.Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hope you have a unfinished basement or garage.
Tow straps connected to the ceiling rafters works great, if they aren't worn out. before you string it up in the air, loosen swingarm pivot bolt and the rear wheel nut. Its kind of a pain in the ass if you trying to put your weight into something that's hanging up.

Jackstands work if you have aftermarket rearsets, that don't fold up.. Just be careful

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Jackstands work if you have aftermarket rearsets, that don't fold up.. Just be careful
IIRC someone posted on here that he took off the footpegs and fitted them upside-down to the other side to prevent this?

Alternatively there is a hole right through the crankcases below the rear sprocket (there is on a 916 anyway) that the exhaust mounting bracket fits in the other side of, you can put a long steel bar (around 10mm thick?) through and use a jackstand on each end - put them close to the engine so the bar doesn't bend, being lower down than the footrests means it's more stable too and you don't need extra long jackstands.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Buy a rear stand, raise the back, then lower it down again onto jack stands placed under the footpeg brackets - better yet, raise the back, then lower it down again onto tie-downs hung from the garage rafters, if you have them.

This is a pretty big job, you need to take off all the bodywork, the throttle bodies, the vertical intake tube, the exhaust, and misc. other stuff so you can pivot the back of the engine down and remove the swingarm. You need a bunch of tools handy too, and you'll need a service manual for the torques and locktite for the engine mounting bolts. It can be done, but if you're not mechanically inclined and very meticulous and prepared then take the bike to a shop and pay them to do it for you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is a pretty big job, You need a bunch of tools handy too, and you'll need a service manual for the torques and locktite for the engine mounting bolts. It can be done, but if you're not mechanically inclined and very meticulous and prepared then take the bike to a shop and pay them to do it for you.
No offense vtwinmaniac,
But, if you're having a hard time figuring out how you're gonna suspend the bike, you're in over your head on this one. If you go ahead with it, you'll find it is extremely difficult to drive the swing arm pivot shaft out.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No offense vtwinmaniac,
But, if you're having a hard time figuring out how you're gonna suspend the bike, you're in over your head on this one. If you go ahead with it, you'll find it is extremely difficult to drive the swing arm pivot shaft out.
What I was thinking, though I wasn't as direct as you. :)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
He can do it....just soak the swing arm axle w/ PB Blaster or Break Free, WD40 or something...I like PB Blaster, tis stuff is amazing! Get it at PEP Boys. Anyway let that soak overnight and it should just ease out.
The upside foot peg trick is pretty crafty!....You can also use some high grade bolts of the same diameter as the foot peg bolts.....put a metal or PVC "sleeve over the bolt, then tighten it down. Throw some jackstands under it......just do ALL your loosening of nuts and bolts before your raise the bike off the ground!!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If the swingarm shaft has never been out it may be stiff but I had my frame painted in 2001 and when reassembled the shaft was well greased. Over the winter I had the engine out and the swingarm shaft came out really easily - just tapped it out with a rubber mallet and a drift.

·
Registered
956 Posts
No offense vtwinmaniac,
Not at all being offensive, but I find myself asking basic questions all the time, and then attempt 'the impossible'. Sometimes, rarely, I screw up (which is what the phone is for LOL), but most of the time, once into the job, the job itself just makes sense.

Like I'm presuming with many others, I'm not a mechanic - I don't touch the engine, I don't change suspension drastically, but anything else I'll give a go because it is very much a feel good moment when you can say to yourself that you did it yourself.

I think if the OP wants to do it, and isn't 'afraid' of it, then go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you all for the advises.It`s done.I was using a jack to support thr engine,I have to tell you it was shaky but I managed to take out the swingarm.I just never worked on Ducs before that was my fuzz about it.(I had to grab some metric tools)Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts