Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just tuned my suspension based on a few recipes i found on this site. My first thought is that I've replicated a good canyon running set up - it tracks great and handles terrific. Only problem is I''m in Houston and we have pathetic roads. About half the time it feels like I'm riding on a washboard. What can I do to tune it down a bit to take the harsh out of it without killing all of the handling? Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You might try this trip; starts north of San Antonio but there are some good rides in East Texas. Clicky here

I found motorcycleroads.us a good source for rides.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I know good rides in Texas. I'm trying to soften my ride without much compromise in handling. I think my my front forks are set a bit tight. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not knowing where your suspension is set at, have you tried adjusting the compression damping? Counterclockwise turns on each fork should make the ride softer; it sounds as if you can feel each grain of sand in the road now.

All the way in clockwise is "0" and is the stiffest setting on the stock Showa. 12 clicks counterclockwise was the factory setting. Adjustment is on the bottom of each shock. Rebound, the straight slot on top of the shock, is factory set at 11.

Both compression and rebound have a max of 14 clicks.

You may have recorded how many clicks out you are for your canyon carver; make a test ride on a given city route, adjust the compression out a click or two, go for another test ride. You may also consider the same adjustments on the rear. Before the canyon carving, reset the adjustments to your recipe settings.

I found 2 clicks of compression adjustment on my Performance Works shock gave me what I wanted. Small adjustment, big difference.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly right wanna. My teeth rattle. I will come off a bit on the compresion dampening. I think I'm at 10 right now but I don't have the records in front of me. What I'm learning is that as you have said - small adjustments make very big changes. I will try it and post the results. Thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You are welcome, but I'm just quoting what is in the Owner's Manual I downloaded. I didn't get one when I bought the bike last month but did find a download link. I'd be glad to send it to you via email; it's for the 2001 model and is about 3mb.

You might also google carl salter dot com and find it there.

Ride safe,
Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts