Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it appears the price of a used 748 is going in the toilet. I would like to sell my street 748. (I have a second 748 for the track.) With a plan to get something a little more comfortable. Like maybe a Hypermotard. But alas cannot take the hit so to say and afford the new bike. Then I see this streetfighter thing and Me thinks hey that can be done. Has anyone tried to put a monster upper triple on a superbike headstock and stock superbike forks? I did a search but only come up with the monster to superbike fork conversions. I figure the s4r came with superbike forks but had kind of a clip on set up. I would prefer the top mount, dirt bike like, set up. I think the rest of the bike looks pretty good without bodywork and around town the fairings are not really functional for wind protection or aerodynamic proficiency. As far as replicating looks I can work on exhaust issues later as the under tail pipes work for me. In a more functional frame of mind does anyone know if a monster headlight will mount on a superbike frame. Ie is the mounting point the same. I wish a friend had a monster so I could just go look at one. What do you all think.
Ps. I posted in the superbike forum because I figure the streetfighter crowd would just say why would I want to put a 748 under my bike and then tell me to just buy a streetfighter.
Brad

·
Registered
442 Posts
Would your existing triple clamp accept a set of fabricated handlebar blocks? They are available, if there is room for them it would just take drilling to mount them.

Jerry

·
Registered
173 Posts
The sbk triples seem flat enough to just fabricate the handlebar mount. The headlight actually attaches to the lower triple, so you could probably drill and tap to add the monster mount for the headlight. there are various other options for headlights however. The main issue is figuring out what to do with all the wiring. Take all the fairings off your bike and ask yourself if youd truely be happy looking at all those wires you see, plus the battery. For me, it would take a degree in electrical engineering to get the bike to where id be happy looking at it in a naked form. the monster headlight would require you chopping the front of the frame off to fit it and going with a completely different cluster setup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like where you are going with this. Have you considered just customizing the side panels in a way that you can keep some of the body panel and cut away what you don't need? IE: Some of the half-fairing bikes have what appear to be an upper half comparable to your 748 top half. I would tie it in with the front V section, as for exhaust...chop it off under the bike like a QD. but that's my $0.02

·
Registered
173 Posts
i contemplated boomtubes for my sbk, it would be very very easy to do with the exhaust as it is, however, the tail was TERRIBLY lacking something without the pipes, it just does not look good without them

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the ideas guys.
I have looked at the upper triple today and feel it is pretty thin for mounting bars to. It is almost flat except for a few supporting ribs underneath. I dont think it is thick enough to properly support a mount for the bars. I am of "corse" not an engineer.
I was thinking of putting the battery under the seat. I run a monoposto tail fairing with a biposto subframe Ie lots of room back there. I have a sealed yuasa ytz 7s that is pretty small and under 5lbs that has started the bike flawlessly for years.
i love the quat d system and have looked at it with envious eyes. The superbike headers are little different but I feel they could probably be adapted to fit. Anyone seen a quat d for a desmoquattro motor?
I am used to my track bikes wiring so I have not had the stock front end off in a long time. Yes the gauge cluster is too much wiring to be left out in the open but a digital dash should clean things up nicely in the front. Trick lids had a really nice dash for sale a while back. I could easily go without the tach as long as the pipes dont get too quiet. By boom tubes do you mean cutting them before the cross over and letting them vent directly laterally?
Does anyone have a pic of the new monster headlight mounting. I guess I can repost in the monster section for that.
i like the idea of keeping the lower v cowl and cutting the stock fairings for visual effect. Maybe keep the fairing on an angle that follows the windshield down below the intake tubes. what am I talking about the plan does not include a windshield. Time for bed. I have an oil cooler on my 748 stock street bike So the lower v cowl is actually functional.
I agree The tail would look kind of funky without the pipes. there-for the chopped tail on the fighter.
More to ponder.
Brad

·
Registered
104 Posts
just search for a 1st model Aprilia Tuono upper tripple clamp. fits the 748 with no problems.

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I was looking for, Good to know rietveld thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts