Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The cable on my 2002 748 snapped recently. I ordered a new one from a reputable ebay dealer - correct OEM part with part number matching diagram for my model and year, and it came in a correct Ducati bag, etc.

At any rate, the stupid cable doesn't fit in the speedo! It looks and feels the same as the old cable, which slides in and out of the speedo hub freely. Same squared off end. There are no burrs or defects on the end (checked under magnification). I didn't measure to compare or anything, but the end appears to be the same size and shape as the old cable when held next to it. But the new one just won't fit. I tried cleaning/greasing it, fiddling with it in different orientations, and so on for upwards of half an hour, and the only result was, I feel a little stupider. Finally I tried just forcing it (I know) and the cable end bent.

Is there some trick? Are new cables "tight" in general? The old cable was a nice fit - it would slide right in and out of the hub, but wasn't really worn in appearance or loose feeling once in. That's what I expected from the new one.

I ended up ordering another, used, cable. Hoping this one glides right in.

I guess this is a rant more than anything, unless there's some secret part difference I'm missing or some special trick for getting a tight cable installed.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
The new cable should fit right in. So easy that you think you may have done it wrong.

Pictures pull-eeze.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This was my experience with an 851 speedo cable. If yours is mechanical off the front wheel which I assume it is, it might be this.

Cable has a square drive that is quite fragile and if you are careless when installing it you can break the tip off into the speedo itself.

This is what happened to me and like you the new cable would not fit in enough to get the threaded collar started. The female end in the speedo is a greasy mess and it is easy to miss a stray piece of cable end.

Cleaning the speedo female end, extracting the errant bit of square cable end, and re-grease, and it slid right in no problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Namor - didn't snap any pics.
@sburns2421 - yes, mechanical off the front wheel. The female hub in the speedo is squeaky clean, that end of the old cable was intact and in good shape visually - I cleaned the speedo out well and checked for any broken off pieces or obstructions, just in case. Even looked up in there under magnification to be sure. The old cable slides right in and out, no problem - it's a good functionally tight fit (doesn't feel worn or loose at all) but it's not a problem to slide the end of the cable in. The new cable wasn't even going in far enough to engage at all, it was simply too big. The squared end of the cable wasn't even engaging into the square hole in the speedo, much less going in far enough to start the threads on the sleeve.

"New" used cable purchased on eBay should arrive within the next two days, hopefully that one fits fine. All I can assume is that the brand new OEM cable was either a fake, or poorly made (too big), or labeled wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New-used one showed up early, arrived today. Slides right in. Got it installed in mere minutes and I am back in business. It remains a mystery. I may get the calipers out and check the size of the bad-new one, out of curiosity, for all intents and purposes the three cables look totally identical to the naked eye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts