Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...searched before I asked

Any ideas for replaement tires for my 2000 748 Bip

Mostly street driving but I am aggressive in the corners whenever I get the chance.

Looking at Pilot Power since I can get them cheap right now..$219 for front and rear

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choice..Thanks!

Hmm now I have a choice. Thanks, I hadn't thought about those. I have been happy with the old Pirellis but they don't make the tire anymore. So now I have more choices.

Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
i got the pirelli diablo and i like it a lot. Its sticky when im hitting the twisties but ive heard you get good mileage out of it (ive probably only had it 500miles)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I currently have the Pilot Powers right now, I like them and the profile is good. For the streets i have tried;

Bt-014
Diablo
Diablo Corsa
Pilot Powers
M1

Out of all these I prefer the Corsa the most because of the Profile and grip, I can ride it on the street and take it to the track and not worry, but they are also the most expensive, 2nd in line would be the Diablo. I like Pirelli because of the Profile, the M1 has also the same compound as the Diablo because they are a sister company but not the same profile, last on my list is the Bt-014, i hate the harness of the tire, they are great for mileage but the profile is to square for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love my Sportec M1s. Great stick and communication.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
i'm on the diablo rear and don't like them. i prefer the metzlers any day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have some older Metz on mine and think they are really lacking in the feedback department... I think I'm going with Pilot Powers next time. They don't make the tires I liked anymore (Pirelli Dragons)

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
I´ve run Pirelli Supercorsa´s for a while and LOVE them.
I use a soft front and a medium rear. VERY good grip.. Trackdays are absolutly no problem. Milage could be better, but adjust your tirepressure and you get more miles then you think.

Metzeler Sportec M1 where also good, but i didn´t like the front. it slid out on me a few times at the track... Nothing major, just needed to slow down a bit.

Pilot Power´s seem good. I´m thinking about trying them..

Right now I´m running Pirelli Supercorsa Pro´s supersoft front and soft rear, but these are almost exclusivly for track use, since they get absolutly ZERO milage. Grip is fantastic with awesome feeling. But they aren´t good for a road bike. I run alot of trackdays.

//amullo

·
comrade moderator
26,851 Posts
Mike, by looking at your profile I can only assume you ride on glaciers and frozen lakes. Therefore I recommend you find some worn out slicks and stud them. I understand between 300 and 400 studs per tire is ideal for that grip on the ice you need.

Have fun, and watch out for yellow snow!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Pirelli

I'm a fan of Pirelli's products and prefer the Diablo for my bikes. For most street riding, I'm finding that the Diablo Strada (Metzeler ME-Z6) is a very reasonable tire for the street, too. In the past, I've liked running the Pirelli Dragon and Dragon Evos. Diablo Corsas have been said to get better mileage than the Diablo on the street, too, but I haven't tried any Diablo Corsas on the street, yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to ALL!!

Thanks Guys

It is interesting to read thru all this info. I too have some profile concerns (not my own, the tires I choose) since I have lived with and liked Pirellis.

My Buddy had an RC51 with Metzlers that was awkward in deeper lean angles for me but that was also a 190.

As for a choice, I have not made it yet but this will happen very soon.

The Pilot Powers seem to be what I am leaning toward but the softness spooks me since wear is also a concern.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
681 Posts
im picking up a Diablo Corsa for my front tire tomorrow and since its my day off, i plan on putting it to the test (after the break in miles). Ill let you know how it handles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Powers rock and I trust them, they so far have been very predictable. I've pushed the front on the street but you can tell, and it's gradual from my experiance. Best street tire I have used to date. I consider myself an agressive street rider and the tires are good for that; there isn't any unused tire and that is rare on a street compound.

I used to run D207GP's for years. Also used to run a rear Dunlop SOFT slick with a 207 / 208 on the front. Got stuck in the rain once to often and that's no fun on a slick. (This was on my Honda 900RR)

SO I say go with the powers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Powers it is

Ok MOTO..

I am giving the Powers a shot.

I am also going to switch to a different aspect ratio up front 70's instead off 60's based on advice from another thread (Chuckracer I think?).

Just placed the order from you..

Thanks to everyone! For some reason this is always a gut wrenching choice when it shouldn't be.

I just realized I jumped over one more shadow. I swore I would never buy this brand after the F1 debacle at Indy when they "pansied" out because their tires couldn't take the high speed banking...That is another story..they win.

Thanks again to all!! I will let you know what I think.

Mike
2000 748 Bip
Yosh 57mm half system

·
comrade moderator
26,851 Posts
Always glad to help in any way I can, to provide my very best and to uphold the high standards of Ducati MS for all to enjoy, blah blah blah...:)

Seriously, good choice. That's what I am running, and I was a long time Dunlop guy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pilot's Mounted Update

Ok, finally got my Pilots off the floor and hung on my Duc.

After my usual "I hate these" feelings...just because their different and I am not used to them...I love them

The grip level is insane! The carcass is certainly different because it is much easier to remove the chicken strip.

Going from 60 profile up front to a 70 was also an experience. It requires much more counter steering effort to get the bike to steer and change direction. Front end seemed higher too?! The stability is most certainly there though. Very cool.

All this just required me to make an adjustment and, now that I am used to it, I really like them.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts