Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Any suggestions for removing the rear wheel nut from my 748.

The rear wheel nut ( alloy nut non-OEM) doesnt seem to budge, despite significant force. I have applied a small amount of WD-40 but still to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I presume it anti-clockwise and not a left hand thread..

Glenn

·
Registered
249 Posts
The tourque settings are quite high you will need to use a breaker bar to get it moving. Best case scenerio you have an extra set of hands keeping the bike steady while doing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The tourque settings are quite high you will need to use a breaker bar to get it moving. Best case scenerio you have an extra set of hands keeping the bike steady while doing.
I'll second that one.......get a 3/4" drive power bar with a length of pipe on it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Took mine off last month for the first time (first time the wheel had ever been removed, actually!).

Custom steel socket off ebay, 1/2" breaker bar, and 6 foot steel pipe. Bike on rear stand, wife sitting on bike holding rear brake, and still was "Fun" to get loose.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
In all honesty, if it's THAT hard to remove, it was either applied without grease, over-torqued, cross-threaded, or any combination of these. My advice would be to spray a better penetrating lube on it (like PB Blaster) and let it soak overnight. Then try again. It it still doesn't work, do it again. If you still can't get it off, buy a 996. Mmmmmm 996. I love those bikes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I couldn't budge it loose with a breaker bar even...brought it over to a friends house that had air tools and it spun right off.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Hi,

Any suggestions for removing the rear wheel nut from my 748.

The rear wheel nut ( alloy nut non-OEM) doesnt seem to budge, despite significant force. I have applied a small amount of WD-40 but still to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I presume it anti-clockwise and not a left hand thread..

Glenn
+1
Impact wrench will save you so much grief :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I bought a 1" drive 6 point metric impact socket set from Horrible Freight ~$60 and a 3/4 drive breaker bar ~ $20. Put the beast on a stand, wedged a piece of wood under the wheel and stood/bounced on the breaker - bingo.. Might need to get someone to sit on the bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I bought a 1" drive 6 point metric impact socket set from Horrible Freight ~$60 and a 3/4 drive breaker bar ~ $20. Put the beast on a stand, wedged a piece of wood under the wheel and stood/bounced on the breaker - bingo.. Might need to get someone to sit on the bike.
+ abillion I used the same set from my buddies ole man. 1 13/16 I used little pressure and my rear nut came right off. Couldnt believe it after reading all the horror stories. This is a year after my dealer put on new rubber for me also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts