Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

there's a small rattle I hear somewhere in my engine (imagine it to be from the horizontal top end, but who knows) which I can hear at around 5000 RPM +/- 1000 RPM. The only reason I notice it is because it's out of sync with the engine/valving. I can't hear it over the engine when I'm wearing earplugs.

So... what could it possibly be? :confused: I once had an old car which needed a water pump that sounded like this (but much louder and clearer since it was a quiet car). The possibility that it's a timing belt tensioner bearing is giving me nightmares, but the belts were only done about a 1000 kms ago. The rattle developed about 4000 kms ago, and I thought it would disappear when the valve clearances were done. The clutch is about 10,000 kms old, with the quiet clutch mod.

Or perhaps I'm imagining things....

Cheers,

bj

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Take your fairings off, check for loose bolts and whatnot. 5000 rpm is right where things tend to get buzzy so it will rattle loose parts.

If that doesn't fix it get one of these
Mechanic's Stethoscope

You just put it against the various parts of the engine until you can clearly hear the source. So you would start with the valve covers, the cam bearing caps, the piston barrels, the alternator cover, the spots where the pulleys are situated under the belt cover etc. Once you find the source report back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts