Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
911f !!!!

I respect your statements and I guess I have to admit that my body must be a clone of the designer of the 748.

I'll see if that proves true when I find a 916. Ill let ya know.

Here's hoping all this conversation helps the originator of the post. Life's too short to be uncomfortable on a bike you love. Kinda like having a pretty wife that's just that with no brain or common sense. But, thats probably and entirely seperate thread.

Change the bike if you have too, but Mine? I don't plan any changes and I ride one of them daily year around.

Long life the 748 IN YELLOW of course. :)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Life's too short to be uncomfortable on a bike you love. Kinda like having a pretty wife that's just that with no brain or common sense. :)
that's good. And I respect your opinion as well and no disrespect meant. to each his own re: fitting or making it fit.

bill

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
I agree with your sentiments on feeling at one with the bike, but for most of it, and for most of the posts that go "adapt, get used to it, toughen up etc, I have to call BS.

Remember they make and design a bike for a 'generic' rider. You think Rossi's bike isn't set up for Rossi? It is and for a good reason - it enhances that bond - when things don't fit, they don't work as well - period. Everything else creates strain, discomfort, tension and worse riding.

They just can't customize (or won't?) for every customer. Some modification is essential if you want to really feel connected to the bike unless you just happen to be the exact body type and flexibility of the test riders who designed it. Most of us aren't. think about it 5'8" me with long legs/shorter torso and 6'3" joe schmoe are both supposed to feel at one with the same bike???? You don't think ferraris have adjustable seats?? how absurd that we have no adjustments on bikes.

The companies that finally wake up and realize this by putting a little customization into them will be way ahead - KTM is starting now with their superbikes.
Got to say, this makes good sense. Right or wrong, I kind of figured that as i am Italian, about 5'7" and around 160 that I fit the bike so well because I happen to posses the same ergonomic dimensions as those used by Tamburini and the rest of the engineering team when they laid out the design initially. I have no problems with the fit, however that said, I do not do any commuting or otherwise long rides on it so I can only comment on how I feel after about an hour or so in the saddle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am 6 foot and 220 I have no problem on the bike until I get to 150 and tucking seat is a bit short for me. The best advice I read in here was saying how to really ride if you are heavy on your wrist you are riding incorrectly I am all for adjusting your bike to suit you but your riding position should be where it is supposed to be prior to tweaking the bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have to admit I never really expected such a large response to my question.... this forum rocks!!!!

Let me clarify a couple of things here, I am about 5'-10", 215lbs. for the last 3 years I was driving a 1989 ZX10 ninja modded as far as I could afford to go. It was like riding a couch, very plush... bad news happened when some guy decided to run a yellow and cut me off.... over the bars, over the car... 30 ft into the intersection I lay..... bike was written off... now I am on this 748 duck and I love it. I think its going to be a time of adjustment to get confident on a bike.... any bike, and get used to the 'track' side of teh 748.....

I appreciate all the comments folks,
ride safe.
Darren

·
grand poobah
719 Posts
Cheapest mod is to flip the clip ons from right to left and vise versa. This reverses the drop angle and makes the bars almost flat. It also raises them about an inch. Give it a try before buying any new gear. I also recomend the angling of the levers by rotation on the bars, as prevously mentioned in this thread, it eases the angle of your wrists. This helped me a lot but I am 6' tall and just under 200#. Adjustable foot pegs go a long way as well. Getting a good base that feels comfortable means many miles of happiness. Best Wishes. Brad

·
Registered
279 Posts
first question: how long have you been riding the 748? if it's only been a few months (say less than 6 months of really regular riding) then my advice would be don't change anything just yet.

I felt a bit the same back on my first 996. thought I would prefer to raise the clipons just a bit (woodcraft and spiegler LSL have quite affordable risers).

but after some more time I am pretty well used to it and comfortable with how they are. you definitely will start putting more weight on the pegs and gripping the tank better as time goes on. as you start doing that your grip will loosen on the bars and all of a sudden you'll find it's not so tiring or uncomfortable any more. if after 6-9mths that doesn't happen that is the time to start looking at moving the rearsets and or bar risers.

these woodcraft ones are under $200 for the pair. and offer a range of height (be aware that any more than approx 1 or 1.5inch will mean interference with the top fairing and may need creative mounting of fluid ressi's etc).

Woodcraft Riser Clip-Ons from SportbikeTrackGear.com

the speigler/LSL ones come with a 1.5inch rise (not adjsutable) and are just over $200. they look quite decent too. LSL Offset Match Riser Clip Ons from SportbikeTrackGear.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheapest mod is to flip the clip ons from right to left and vise versa. This reverses the drop angle and makes the bars almost flat. It also raises them about an inch. Give it a try before buying any new gear. I also recomend the angling of the levers by rotation on the bars, as prevously mentioned in this thread, it eases the angle of your wrists. This helped me a lot but I am 6' tall and just under 200#. Adjustable foot pegs go a long way as well. Getting a good base that feels comfortable means many miles of happiness. Best Wishes. Brad
euroduc - (or anyone who has done this)

After flipping the clip-ons right to left, and left to right, did the lever clamps and throttle assembly bolt directly back on?.......did any of the wires, lines or cables need replacing because of the higher positioning?

markn

·
Registered
33 Posts
euroduc - (or anyone who has done this)

After flipping the clip-ons right to left, and left to right, did the lever clamps and throttle assembly bolt directly back on?.......did any of the wires, lines or cables need replacing because of the higher positioning?

markn
Is there anyone out there who can answer my question?......are the stock OEM lines, cables, and wires long enough to merely flip the left and right clip-ons from side-to-side?

Also, do the "flipped" clip-ons come in contact with the upper fairing when going from full lock, to full-lock?

mark

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Comfort!

My 748 is a daily commuter. Sorry, I do not race it to and from work. Fllipping the clip-ons does not work for me. The upside down angle made them much more uncomfortable. I bought heli-bars and a set of peg relocators from valter moto. The electrical wires need to be moved in behind instead of through the triples on the left controls and the clutch and brake banjo fittings need to be turned down to allow for clearance when raising your hand position. If you go too high the reservoirs will hit the fairing. You can increase the reservoir line length and mount them further in on the triple for more clearance but they have to be above the master cylinders.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also use Helibars and they do make the bike feel and handle differently! They are much more comfortable for regular use, on track they don't feel right, although I still recommend them.

Sorry for the hijack, but do you have more info on the peg relocates?

Thanks

My 748 is a daily commuter. Sorry, I do not race it to and from work. Fllipping the clip-ons does not work for me. The upside down angle made them much more uncomfortable. I bought heli-bars and a set of peg relocators from valter moto. The electrical wires need to be moved in behind instead of through the triples on the left controls and the clutch and brake banjo fittings need to be turned down to allow for clearance when raising your hand position. If you go too high the reservoirs will hit the fairing. You can increase the reservoir line length and mount them further in on the triple for more clearance but they have to be above the master cylinders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Made the switch yesterday... not as easy and quick as I thought it was going to be.. what a huge difference in the height of the bars, probably about 1.5". I love it!!

had to drill out the locating pins for the clutch and brake assemblies and had to re-route the brake line a bit it.... crack the banjo and just moved it about 5 degrees.... all in all the change is much more comfortable for me.. its my daily ride to work and I am far from a track guy.. (too slow LOL)......the front brake resivoir just clears the fairing, the brake and clutch levers could be a bit lower but I can definately make due with how it is setup now.....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I also use Helibars and they do make the bike feel and handle differently! They are much more comfortable for regular use, on track they don't feel right, although I still recommend them.

Sorry for the hijack, but do you have more info on the peg relocates?

Thanks
Their official name was "valter moto rear set jack up plates". I do not believe they are made any more. I used to have a .pdf of their part numbers but I can't seem to find it. I purchased them from ebay.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts