Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks, I love my 748 but holy cow is it uncomfortable to ride. All the pressure is on my wrists and back of my neck and upper sholders. I was thinking of adjusting the forks in the tripple clamps so I can move the clip ons a bit higher. Anybody have any suggestions?? Am I thinking of the wrong thing to do with the clipons???

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
You can replace the top triple clamp with an aftermarket unit. I relpaced mine on the 996 with a Speedymoto. Beautifully made and it lets you raise the bars up about 3/4". I could tell the difference. Or replace the clipons with some Cyclecat adjustable units or something similar.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Get risers. It will also make the bike "feel" easier to ride.

I lowered the front and raised the back. Wrists are ok under a 400 mile ride and the bike handles better.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
748's

I don't find the 748 uncomfortable at all.

If you fight the machine, you will always feel out of place.

Or, if you mount it as if your where having sex all the problems go away.

I find the seats and riding positions to be fine. Go with the flow.

Don't fix it, if it ain't broke.

But, this just my 2 cents.

Later, George in Delaware

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Squeeze the tank with your knees, will help take strain off your back and wrists for a bit.

If you wanted comfortable, you bought the wrong bike lol. Best of luck getting it sorted!:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
You could remove the location pins/tags for your brake/clutch assemblies
so they can turn,
the throttle lower clamp has a small peg it can be filed off so you
can move it to.
The plastic switch covers have plastic location stubs they can be filed down to allow them to turn if you turn the clutch/brake.
This lets your wrists hand be a little more straight when you pull on the
levers made a great difference for me.

brian.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,733 Posts
Forget all the advice about your "core muscles" get a pair of cycle cat adjustable clipons with a 2" rise and you'll love your 748 again.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Agree. Some of it is core and changing your position, particularly if its you r neck and shoulders. But a lot of it is basic set up- fine on track but not in most other settings. Depends too on how long torsoed and armed you are. I put cyclecat system on my 999r and started road bicycling again. The cycle cats changed it to something like a gsxr1000 position - still supersport but very reasonable. Well made and the difference between short rides and long ones. That with the bike training and i can do 400 mile days now. I am 52. Young guys are a different story.

·
Registered
405 Posts
you can pickup some new clipons from ebay 1" risers takes the strain off the wrists without messing with the geo' of the bike, this can be dangerous if you get it wrong!! also you can get ajustable clipons, put them in an agressive position for a good hard ride out, ajust and ride home in comfort.;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
another thing, try moving around on the bike more, if you stay in a fixed position you will feel it alot more:p

find the right twisties and open her up!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good info folks, thanks... its like you guys know me.... long arms, week core, cant sit as close to the tank as I used to, weak inner thighs.....

LOL

I'm gonna look into the risers and go from there.....

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
to paraphrase Keith Code, handle bars are for turning not supporting your weight, hands should be loose on the bars.

Your forearms should be parallel to the ground, visualize the steering stem and it's axis, you want to be pushing the bars as close to 90 degrees to this axis as possible. You'll find with bent arms and loose hands your torso will be forced to do the work. I tend to lean forward and lie on the tank which helps as well.

I'm 5'11 and find my 916 super comfortable like this, i ride it all day long.

Stompgrip on the tank will reduce the workload on your legs.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
748 comfort zone.

I hope the mod's help,

But, In 65 years old, 5ft 10 inches, 180 lbs. and I won't change a thing on the 748 for comfort. These are not cruisers or land yachts.

The where built to compete on the track and kick ass.

You need to look in the mirror and introduce your self to the new Rossi and go with the flow. You need to fit the bike, don't re-engineer it to fit you.

Life is good when you do that and you'll never look back.

I've ridden since 1962. In 2000 I was thinking about getting out of motorcycles, but then I decided why? I started looking around and figured the Honda RC51 was me. I found a new one, but when mounting the bike, that design was a killer for my body. So, rather than stop, I looked at Yamaha R1's. I found an R1, mounted her and found it fit like a glove. I bought her and rode in discomfort till a freind recommended I bend to the bike rather than expect it to accomadate me. Well I did that and did not sell her till I'd purchased my 2007 R1. Then along came a Ducati 748. Well to make a long story longer, I fell in love with the 748. Many times the R1 sits and I ride the 748. Then along came another 748.

Can you have more than one?

At the moment I have 9 bikes, from dirt to drag.

Go someplace quiet, by your self and the bike. Stand back, look at her, and take it all in and now your ready to mount and become part of the machine. You will never regret it. You'll be rewarded many times over for not fighting the design.

Theres nothing wrong with your 748 or you. You just need to get to know one another better. Respect her and she'll do the same for you.

This is a joint union. Your no longer an individual. Your are an intergal part of the 748. Don't fight it, enjoy it and I'll look for your smiling face on the road.

PS: Prior to 2000, Id ridden everything from dirt with 2, 3 and 4 wheels. Cruisers and touring bikes with a camping trailer and one Gold Wing with a sidecar. One round trip to west coast on 9 year old Gold Wing and tent camping every night with ending milege of just short of 10,000 miles. I thought I'd done it all. But I'd never ridden or owned a sport bike. Plus I have a back problem thats gone away since I started ridding crotch rockets. I was a young 53 when I started riding sportbikes.

Later, George in Delaware

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
...This is a joint union. Your no longer an individual. Your are an intergal part of the 748. Don't fight it, enjoy it and I'll look for your smiling face on the road...
I have never felt as part of any machine as I do on the Ducati. The first time I rode it I was reminded of Tron...

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I hope the mod's help,

But, In 65 years old, 5ft 10 inches, 180 lbs. and I won't change a thing on the 748 for comfort. These are not cruisers or land yachts.

The where built to compete on the track and kick ass.
I agree with your sentiments on feeling at one with the bike, but for most of it, and for most of the posts that go "adapt, get used to it, toughen up etc, I have to call BS.

Remember they make and design a bike for a 'generic' rider. You think Rossi's bike isn't set up for Rossi? It is and for a good reason - it enhances that bond - when things don't fit, they don't work as well - period. Everything else creates strain, discomfort, tension and worse riding.

They just can't customize (or won't?) for every customer. Some modification is essential if you want to really feel connected to the bike unless you just happen to be the exact body type and flexibility of the test riders who designed it. Most of us aren't. think about it 5'8" me with long legs/shorter torso and 6'3" joe schmoe are both supposed to feel at one with the same bike???? You don't think ferraris have adjustable seats?? how absurd that we have no adjustments on bikes.
The companies that finally wake up and realize this by putting a little customization into them will be way ahead - KTM is starting now with their superbikes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts