Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After a fast review I need a new clutch set. Planing to upgrade to a basquet and plates from 999r (aluminium) instead of oem 748 (steel), change bolts to titanium and pushrod. But i´m not sure if i have to change my drum to 999r one (need one new anyway). Do I order my oem (748 y2000) or the one for 999r? May an afther market alloy drum does the job? I´ll thanks any help. TIA.

·
Registered
444 Posts
When you say “drum” , do you mean the central hub ?
Your stock unit will do

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say “drum” , do you mean the central hub ?
Your stock unit will do
Yep, you´re right. I have to change it ´cause show some marks on it. Then keep stock is ok or may I upgrade it (if it can be)?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep, you´re right. I have to change it ´cause show some marks on it. Then keep stock is ok or may I upgrade it (if it can be)?
“I have to change it cause show some marks on it”

There’s marks & then there’s wear.
Unusual for the hub to be worn out , normally the domain of the basket , why don’t you post some pics.

Stock or aftermarket, all hubs are aluminium so I don’t understand what you mean when you say upgrade it.
Nearly all aftermarket clutch baskets & hubs are advertised as “to suit all Ducati 6speed dry clutch” as well as
“916 996 998 999 1098” ,,, so what does this tell ya?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
hubs rarely wear, they are rough machined so don't look that nice.

std is an aluminium piece that goes over a steel center and has rubber blocks as a cush drive. the aluminium outer gets worn at the front by the big steel washer.

most (all?) aftermarket ones will be solid, so no cush drive.

all the baskets are much the same - the 1x98 and 1100 ones are longer as they have thicker packs. personally i'd go an 1098 basket and pack and with the extra plate you should be able to get by with 3 springs on a 748. not sure if the hub is longer now.

well, there's a different part number for 2011 model year onwards for all dry clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for sharing. I didn´t know hubs were all the same even in aluminium. Rubbers are ordered already, and tomorrow I´ll do the same with basquet and plates. I´ll try to upload a picture tomorrow of my hub. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you are. Pictures shows marks but hub looks not bad at all. Not even grooves, as you can see. Only a little lip in the center but i think not too bad for a 18 years old hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my fingers all around and i didn´t notice anything. Only colour faulting. Hub got a machined end on every tooth and that´s all i found.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered new hub and ready here (old shown some wear in the inner hole). Have to confirm but looks heavier. New basket comes afther market for a third part of Ducati´s OEM. Surprise, clutch plates from the 999r are steel, not aluminium as i supposed to be (sad). Maybe a store mistake? Let´s see how they works together. And the rubbers....... what i have from my chassis number received are smaller. So i sent´m back and reuse the old set.
Ps: side covers from engine need a little paint job. Next week will be at shop to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ordered new hub and ready here (old shown some wear in the inner hole). Have to confirm but looks heavier. New basket comes afther market for a third part of Ducati´s OEM. Surprise, clutch plates from the 999r are steel, not aluminium as i supposed to be (sad). Maybe a store mistake? Let´s see how they works together. And the rubbers....... what i have from my chassis number received are smaller. So i sent´m back and reuse the old set.
Ps: side covers from engine need a little paint job. Next week will be at shop to do it.
Didn’t you say that you were getting an aluminium clutch basket?
If you did, I wouldn’t run steel drive plates in it , the basket won’t last too long.

Where did you get that hub from?
Is it anodised black?
How much did it cost?

If you don’t mind me asking

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basket is afthermarket, ordered at the same time the plates at dealer. Someone wrong? have to find out. Hub is OEM and cost the same (silver aluminium for 100€ here in Spain).
Ps: if i have to asume i´d mistake i´ll run alloy basket with iron disks. Was ready to make a lighter clutch specting to cover no more than 10K/15K km but let´s see wath´s happen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is what I did..

Thanks to all for sharing. I didn´t know hubs were all the same even in aluminium. Rubbers are ordered already, and tomorrow I´ll do the same with basquet and plates. I´ll try to upload a picture tomorrow of my hub. Thanks a lot.
I replaced everything on my 08 S4RS, I went with the DesmoTimes Full monty and I could not be happier >:)

Desmo Times Home Page

Have a look
Pete

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
updating post with picts:
finally ducati not sale alloy clutch plates anymore so i have iron ones with (yes :( ) alloy basket. Drum is oem and heavier than my old one. Drop some picts with weight of every part. By the way, found some oxide area due to a licking slave cilinder. Grinded with glass not sand, gave an smooth finish. Waiting now to get paint job done this week.
Here you got:

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
Surprise, clutch plates from the 999r are steel, not aluminium as i supposed to be (sad). Maybe a store mistake?
In order to get aluminum friction clutch plates (needed for use with aluminum basket and hub) you need to order ORGANIC friction material plates. All SINTERED clutch plates are steel based.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Have a complete clutch if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts