Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was looking through my Haynes manual, and the specifications are 98bhp for a 748 Biposto, 100.3bhp for an SPS. Okay, sounds about eight.

But then I look at the specs for the 916.
97bhp for the Strada/biposto.
?
Now, mind you the redlines are different, with the 748 being listed at 11,000rpm, 9,000 for the 916, therefore one may assume by theory that the 916 power and is more "usable" on the bigger displacement Duc, and the torque is higher on the 916 (only 5ft.lbs., vs. the SPS, data not available on the biposto), but does the 748 really make 1hp more than the mighty 916?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have always felt that it is more important to look at where in the RPM range a bike (or car, for that matter) makes its power and for how long, perhaps in the form as a graph. Only then can one do a true comparison with another bike of HP/torque at a given RPM and then relate that to what you want in a bike. I test rode an R6 once (once!) and while it makes more hp than my 916, it's only for an instant and at a million RPM . For me, being a twins guy, it was unridable. I remember way back that Cycle mag used to do this and have seen such on and off in various mags doing comparos, but it's not consistent. Saying that this or that makes more total HP is not really a relevant or contextual comparison.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A well-running 748R would definitely be on par if not above a 916 in peak hp, as prophet says.
No doubt. But still, the standard Biposto is showing to have 1bhp more than the 916. That is what has been throwing me.

I have always felt that it is more important to look at where in the RPM range a bike (or car, for that matter) makes its power and for how long, perhaps in the form as a graph. Only then can one do a true comparison with another bike of HP/torque at a given RPM and then relate that to what you want in a bike. I test rode an R6 once (once!) and while it makes more hp than my 916, it's only for an instant and at a million RPM . For me, being a twins guy, it was unridable. I remember way back that Cycle mag used to do this and have seen such on and off in various mags doing comparos, but it's not consistent. Saying that this or that makes more total HP is not really a relevant or contextual comparison.
Agreed. Flat, wide curve with a smooth, gradual incline. Like I said, usable power is no doubt in the check box of the 916, but I could not understand the 1bhp more in peak, in the stats. I understand that the 916 would have a better performance, and 1bhp peak would certainly not even be noticable, but the number just sounds strange thatthe 748 would be more than the 916.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Pretty sure there was a change in how power was quoted by the factory around then, it used to be at the wheel but i _think_ when texas pacific took over they changed the way they stated the bike specs to be in line with the Japanese manufacturers.

So yeah, the 916 makes about 97 HP at the wheel, the 748 and 748SPS power figures are quoted at the flywheel.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Between 10500 and 11500 the 748 makes 90 more horsepower:)

Then you fit 916 barrels with Wiseco pistons , unmask the inlet valves, smooth the combustion chambers out, set the valve timing to 109, get Brad to burn a chip and it's 916 look out. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Nice find. I wonder if the tail shows "Superbike 748SPS"? Ducati for some reason wasn't into branding their special 748 models on the fairings or anywhere else it seems.

If this is an SPS, why wasn't it equipped with Ohlins forks and rear shock?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Reactions: t_bare

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 748 Bi made 102whp on a dynojet. I will test my 996 when I have it 100%, 916/966 where faster seat of the pants experiences but not by much.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My 748 Bi made 102whp on a dynojet. I will test my 996 when I have it 100%, 916/966 where faster seat of the pants experiences but not by much.
OK, but where did it make that and for how long in the RPM range? HP is only half the story or less.

Reactions: ducvet and xracer
1 - 20 of 48 Posts