Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Was out riding my '00 748 with some buddies this weekend...and they were all complaining about how dim the rear tail light was....I am wanting to do a led conversion on my bike and was wondering if any of you have done this and can give me some info...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used to have one before I changed over to a track only setup. CustomLED makes a great unit that has integrated blinkers. The blinkers can be turned off though if you only want to use the stoplight. It does require you to modify the stock taillight, and you will need to get some type of resistor if you intend on making the blinkers work correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
only if you have a larger picture of you signature :)
X2!

But back to business, I actually have an LED rear tail light off of Ebay and it's really bright as long as you're looking at it from above 6 feet. Otherwise the angle is off since the tail light angle is pointing up. I've been looking but haven't found one that has the LED's pointing straight back. Let me know if you find any.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do u have any pics of it installed baja mike??? i saw that same one on e-bay....i know the angle the lenses are at hampers there visability, doing a led conversion has to be better thatn stock!!! hopeing someone will chime in here with some pics...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I've got the integrated LED's. Look cool and sleek, but the visibility is even worse than stock. The upward facing angle of the desmoquatro tail does little to help.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I got some from Custom Dynamics and got complaints about how bright they where.

VERY good product which several members here will testify to. Aesy to install and very good quality with amazing results. Would highly recommend. Get a clear rearlense while your at it.. :)
http://www.customdynamics.com/ducati_led_tail_light.htm

//amullo

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah, I'll second that one about having to be a few metres in the air to see those LED tail lights. I got one those assemblies for a mate on Ebay US and the light out of it is no good during the day and a bit naff at night. He removed the LED's from the board and soldered on some ultrabrights which I think also had a wider visible angle. Ideally you'd solder them on at an angle to make them a better angle but often the boards have the soldering holes perpendicular to the ground, making it a bit more tricky.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts

VERY good product which several members here will testify to. Aesy to install and very good quality with amazing results. Would highly recommend. Get a clear rearlense while your at it.. :)

//amullo
+1, I have these and people who have ridden behind me have commented on how bright it is. They say it looks like I've got my brake lights on (until the brake light is on) the integrated turn/flash is good too but only works properly if you fit a clear lens, although I left my stock indicators on aswell to be even better seen - highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts

//amullo

What he said. My taillights are now blinding.
It was little more $$$ then some E-Bay LED's, but it was well worth the extra $$$. It was easy to install, quality was great, and instruction were easy to follow..

·
Registered
557 Posts

//amullo
These are the ones that I was talking about. I believe that I said they were CustomLED, but I believe that Custom Dynamics and CustomLED carry the same part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna order some customdynamic led's pronto......i might order the load equalizer also, where is a good place to find a quality clear lense for the taillights??? Thanks for all the help...

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I think Custom Dynamics sell the clear lense aswell. Might not be the cheapest on the market, but you get it all at once and that´s worth a few bucks. Check out the vendors otherwise, I´m sure Motowheels can hook you up.

The load equalizer is a good thing to have if you like "pimping" your bike with lights of diffrent kinds. It automatically adjusts your turnsignalload so no matter what turnsignal combo you run, it always blinks at the right speed.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
+1000
I had the ones from Ebay....when i emailed them about the bad angle of the tail lights, they said that's just the way they're made.

So I got the Custom Dynamics and it's perfect.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm gonna order some customdynamic led's pronto......i might order the load equalizer also, where is a good place to find a quality clear lense for the taillights??? Thanks for all the help...
Like amullo said, ordering it all together is the way to go. I personally went for the CustomLED ELF-P relay. worked great, and you can change up the blinker pattern if your so inclined. I also went with Mirrors with the signals in them up front, so it really turned out nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I do custom LEDs on a lot of Harley baggers so I just got some of the same LEDs and installed them in my carbon 748 tail. Sorry pics suck, they're from my phone, I can't find my camera charger. Still need to put a final flow coat of clear on these but the baggers are pretty bright, don't imagine these will be much different. These are cut and put in flush with the paint and clear. Could do custom graphics and stuff like that but I need to use bigger ones next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do custom LEDs on a lot of Harley baggers so I just got some of the same LEDs and installed them in my carbon 748 tail. Sorry pics suck, they're from my phone, I can't find my camera charger. Still need to put a final flow coat of clear on these but the baggers are pretty bright, don't imagine these will be much different. These are cut and put in flush with the paint and clear. Could do custom graphics and stuff like that but I need to use bigger ones next time.
Excellent looking stuff there! Do you have any details on how you built it? I was just considering doing a similar project myself. some additional pictures of how you have it all setup would be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts