Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
It has been a while since I was at the track, and I keep forgetting to post here to ask...so here it goes. I'm not a tall guy (5'8"), and my 2002 748 has stock suspension. My last track day was end of last year at Sears Point Infineon Raceway. I'm no Rossi by any means, but I can see from my tire wear that I am about 0.5-1mm from the edge of the tire from the lean. There were some pictures taken of me on the track, and while dragging my knee, the bike doesn't seem as crazy leaned over as one might see on MotoGP. Does this mean I can take the bike on a lower lean angle, even though I feel we are already close to the edge on the tires? I feel like I'm still far from dragging my elbow =)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to love leaning my bike, until I leant to far :( The problem with these bikes is *nothing* scrapes before you go off the edge of the tyre (in other words the contact patch becomes too small and you lowside).

What I learned from that incident was to not push it so far (was on the road), don't over-inflate the tyres, and make sure they are warm and sticky before you go that far. Also practice shifting your body and knee-down if you like, it's better than risking the edge of the tyre. Also, no sudden throttle/brake adjustments -- it's enough to break traction.

Edit: MotoGP bikes use special tyre compounds that we'll never see, and their bikes are probably ridiculously light and who knows what the weight distribution is like. Don't be fooled into thinking you can lean like Stoner.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Gang,
It has been a while since I was at the track, and I keep forgetting to post here to ask...so here it goes. I'm not a tall guy (5'8"), and my 2002 748 has stock suspension. My last track day was end of last year at Sears Point Infineon Raceway. I'm no Rossi by any means, but I can see from my tire wear that I am about 0.5-1mm from the edge of the tire from the lean. There were some pictures taken of me on the track, and while dragging my knee, the bike doesn't seem as crazy leaned over as one might see on MotoGP. Does this mean I can take the bike on a lower lean angle, even though I feel we are already close to the edge on the tires? I feel like I'm still far from dragging my elbow =)
You can always lean it over further ... But unfortunately you never know when it is too far until you lose the front. I have found that even when you are completely to the edge on the rear tire that the front still shows some untouched contact patch; I don't know if it is a function of tire profile or what.

So, yes, if your ability and tire adhesion will allow it you could add lean angle by lapping at a faster pace.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The unused strip could be related to the tire profile. Profiles differ with each manufacturer. Other variables are suspension setup, tire pressure, track grip and your own riding style. Quite often you will see a strip of unused rubber on the front but not the rear. I found that the older Michelins Power Race will have a larger front strip than Pirelli Diablo Super Corses but both rears are of the edges.

I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
357 Posts
Holy crap! Need to go super fast to achieve that angle I'd guess...

MR Stoner may be hanging off the bike in this pic but its deceptive, a lot of his weight is on his right foot, this increasess the contact patch at the edge of the tyre so you can go that bit further, (a lot of tallent, a lot of tech) hes also holding the bike up on his knee.

if you do that on the road to often you will end up an organ donor!!

still you have to admire the tallent!

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Hey Gang,
There were some pictures taken of me on the track, and while dragging my knee, the bike doesn't seem as crazy leaned over as one might see on MotoGP. Does this mean I can take the bike on a lower lean angle, even though I feel we are already close to the edge on the tires? I feel like I'm still far from dragging my elbow =)

Dragging a knee doesn't mean anything in regards to your bike, esp if your body position is wrong. Why not take a school and learn to ride properly and have an instructor follow/lead? Chicken strips, knee dragging, etc are pointless unless you have someone instructing you. And the others are right about suspension: it's the best money you'll spend on your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Edit: MotoGP bikes use special tyre compounds that we'll never see, and their bikes are probably ridiculously light and who knows what the weight distribution is like. Don't be fooled into thinking you can lean like Stoner.
You can lean a bike pretty far over with today's street tires and even the trackday compounds being offered. There are people doing it every weekend. Besides track days, look at AMA, WERA, CCS, etc...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used to love leaning my bike, until I leant to far :( The problem with these bikes is *nothing* scrapes before you go off the edge of the tyre (in other words the contact patch becomes too small and you lowside).

What I learned from that incident was to not push it so far (was on the road), don't over-inflate the tyres, and make sure they are warm and sticky before you go that far. Also practice shifting your body and knee-down if you like, it's better than risking the edge of the tyre. Also, no sudden throttle/brake adjustments -- it's enough to break traction.

I just encountered this, this past weekend. It was my first trackday and I was leaning as far as I could on every turn. Corner 13 was a sweeping turn and I got into position and leaned hard again. Then my rear tire slid out from under me. I wasn't under hard accleration either. Just maintaining speed. Fortunately my foot got sandwiched between the pavement and the bike and the bike received no damage. Right before I went off the track I was able to stand it back upright and ride safely through the grass to the other side. I then pitted and cleaned my leathers out :-]

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts