Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there fellow Duc owners. I'm new to the Ducati world. A one month old newbie. I just acquired a 1998 748 in great condition. The bike was always garaged and well maintained service records to prove it. I bought it with 11k on the clock.
After putting 2k on the bike. It is now acting up. A couple of times on a few rides the bike started to sputter then it would go away. A few weeks ago it started to get worse then it went away. This past weekend as I'm riding with some friends I had no issues. When all of a sudden the idle gets rough rolling to a stop light. The bike dies. I quickly fire it back up. As I try to keep the bike running it dies again. Now it won't crank over. Dead battery. I walk it off the street and check the battery. The negative battery cable is loose. After a few calls I get a hold of a friend to help me get the bike somwhere safe.

I remove the battery and get it tested. I was told the battery had a low charge and it needed to be charged. A day later I reinstall the battery, the bike fires right up no issues. NO stumbling. I let it idle for a bit I'm like yeah. I proceed to ride the bike home 30 mile commute. Still no issues.
Just as I pull off the highway the bike begins to stumble the rough idle is back and the bike dies. I try to fire it up and no luck battery doesn't have enough juice to get it started.

Most people walk their dogs. I walked my Duc home two miles. What a work out.
My truck is at the location where I picked my bike up from.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bummed Duc owner.
:(

·
Registered
923 Posts
pretty simple, voltage regulator, rectifier or stator....something charging sytem related since your battery does not appear to be getting charged

·
Registered
50 Posts
fuse

sounds like my identical problem. It turned out to be the fuse for the charging system. A $3 fix.... might want to check that out

·
Registered
395 Posts
You'll need to get your hands on a multimeter. After you get the battery charged fire the bike up. Disconnect the plug going from the stator to the rectifier, should be three yellow wires. Set the meter for AC voltage. You can test across any two of the three contacts. At idle you should see arround 20+/- V, at 1600 rpm you should be in the 30s and at 7000 it should be over 100. Start there and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Oops. Disconnect first, then start the bike. Too hard to edit on iPhone :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sucks about what happened, being out on a ride, having problems, having hassles...

def. sounds like the fried yellow wires syndrome...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys guys. I won't be able to work on the bike till Sunday. Everyone enjoy the long weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Sleepin748 put it "sounds like the fried yellow wires syndrome..." This was the problem.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts