Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a 2000 748s with 12k miles and I would like some feedback about the life of the bike.

I was wondering if there are any guys out there that have a 748 that has over 20 or 30k and running strong.

I would also like to here about any 748's crapping out once they hit a high mileage mark.

·
Registered
508 Posts
it can be done

I am almost to 17k and there are bikes out there with 90k. Keep the needle below 10.5k rpm and you can ride it for a long time. I plan on it. People are funny thinking 12k is high... mine finally broke in at 14k miles...:)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
It's pretty much all about how you take care of it. If you maintain it and catch things, it will last you a very very long time.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Can't help with the question but I thought the title was "748 Mile High Club" and I was hoping for some pointers:)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
19.6k on mine and running strong. I have replaced all the opening rockers with MegaCycled ones, though. Now, I just need to finish rebuilding the body since smacking a guardrail on Labor Day. I'm hoping to have it back on the road in the spring.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My friend has a 1999 748, has 24k on it. He has had the bike less than a year and it had less than 10k miles on it when get got it. Runs very strong, not a flaw on it and rockers have been checked twice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 2001 748 with 27k on it. My only and I repeat, only troubles were a few flaking rockers (4) which were replaced with Megacycles. It has been bumped to 853 (best move for me) which was done at 22k. It's been a lot of fun and a good runner for me. We currently have, besides the 748, a 2000 ST4 with 38k, a 900ss/sp with 41k, and a Multi with 18k. Very very few troubles with any of the Ducatis'.
Dolph Eley

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,965 Posts
Mine is a 2000 748s with 50000km (31000miles) on it
2 rockers replaced 3 years ago.
Looks & goes like new.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just about 22 thousand and going strong. Coming up on a service here in a few more miles; i'm keeping me fingers crossed lol.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Can't help with the question but I thought the title was "748 Mile High Club" and I was hoping for some pointers:)
That was my first thought too when I saw the thread title. If my girlfriend gives me head while I'm doing a wheelie in the Colorado Rockies does that count? :confused::D

I would be more leery of a bike that has sat in the garage since 2000 and only has 2000 miles on it. It probably hasn't even had its first service yet and who knows what is corroded, frayed, etc. Bikes with more miles that are running great with good service records got to that point for a reason. Someone wanted to buy my 748 at one point but was wary because it had 12k miles. Are you kidding? It's an 01. I am never selling it now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Artistimo 748

Artistimo, i assume that your 748 was customized like your other bikes. Could you post pics of it? I'm sure we would all like to see what a "high mileage" 748 looks like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 748s I am looking has around 12k on it. The guy that I am buying it from is a distant friend and he said that he would take it to an authorized Ducati dealership to get the 12K service before he sells it to me. I want to make sure all of the right stuff gets done to it because I don't have garage at the moment (I know..I know..how can I own a ducati without a garage). What if the dealership only replaces 2 of the rockers...I am sure the rest can't be too far behind. Also...what about the clutch? What is the range of miles for the clutch to burn out? Keep in mind this is an old dude...I don't think he ragged it too hard (but you never know for sure). I was told that the clutch could go between 15-25k...is that about right?

And if I want to do minor maintenance for the belts and oil changes...do I need an array of tools to get this done? I am nervous about buying a 10 year old bike...but I need a Ducati. Life is too short not to have what makes you feel good. I just hope my pockets stay feeling good.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
If two rockers are bad that doesn't necessarily mean others are ready to fail. The vertical cylinder openers are most susceptible, and high revs contribute, but nothing is assured. Unfortunately, they are part of owning a Ducati desmoquatro. If you can perform the work yourself, it really isn't difficult or expensive though. Clutch should be a non-issue. In spite of their extra noise, they are fairly durable, but they are a wear and tear item. Any Japanese bike will need a clutch eventually too--and the Ducati dry clutch is much easier to service/replace. If the basket is OK, you can change a clutch pack yourself literally in 10 minutes. As far as tools, go to desmotimes.com. You'll only need a couple things really--not everything they have. Engine turning tool and a couple others. At least the desmoquatros are so easy to work on and the bodywork is removable in seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Sure...

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
What nine16 says is right too. Changing clutches is so easy it's retarded. Just make sure it's slotted in right and you're good to go. No draining the oil and any of that other mess. One of my buddies was panicking over it when he bought his bike and it looked ratty (the owner took the cover off so it was completely exposed and the plates were rusty) but I found him all the parts he needed for 50 bucks and it was a 10-minute swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What nine16 says is right too. Changing clutches is so easy it's retarded. Just make sure it's slotted in right and you're good to go. No draining the oil and any of that other mess. One of my buddies was panicking over it when he bought his bike and it looked ratty (the owner took the cover off so it was completely exposed and the plates were rusty) but I found him all the parts he needed for 50 bucks and it was a 10-minute swap.
Artistimo...your bike is beautiful! I see a lot of Ducati with the engine cover on the right side exposed. Like something is spinning in there. What is that and where do I get one?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
That is the dry clutch spinning in there. Since it isn't a wet clutch like most Japanese bikes you can have an open cover. Most modern Ducati superbikes have a dry clutch. The 848 doesn't but it can be converted. There are tons of clutch covers available, just look them up on eBay, Motowheels, etc. There are endless combos available. There are different kinds of covers, hubs, etc. in different colors or you can customize them. You can even customize your stock one if you have the time, patience, tools and skill to do so. I have a few on other bikes in the shop, I'll take a few pics later when I have time but try doing a search too.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
You can even run no cover at all. The only real negatives would be an accident on the right side or possibly riding through a hurricane.

BTW, nice bike Artisimo. I saw it in person at Moto GP in Indy. Personally, I'm more of a traditionalist and like mine just as it is, but yours and all the work in it definitey stands out. I'm going to PM you about some possible paint work on the Derbi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts