Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Namor... not sure how to take that. A quick amazon rant needed to come out at some point I guess.. some might say these forums are a convenient world overlord also and an even better place to express ones opinion. But I'm looking for facts that back my questions. Maybe Amazon has that answer, not only based off convenience, but reality. So Namor I need to know why Ducati wants $260 for a part proven to cost far less as shown by the short and sweet previous post.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Namor... not sure how to take that. A quick amazon rant needed to come out at some point I guess.. some might say these forums are a convenient world overlord also and an even better place to express ones opinion. But I'm looking for facts that back my questions. Maybe Amazon has that answer, not only based off convenience, but reality. So Namor I need to know why Ducati wants $260 for a part proven to cost far less as shown by the short and sweet previous post.
Cheers
is the ducati $260 part better quality than the amazon cheapie? who knows. that would be what they're hoping you'd think, and would be the reality of it.

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
is the ducati $260 part better quality than the amazon cheapie? who knows. that would be what they're hoping you'd think, and would be the reality of it.
There is in all likelihood very little difference between the two. However, I would be willing to be that similar to a comparison between Mil-Std qualified parts and their commercial brethren, the former undergo a far more stringent QA process, and therefore, at least in my opinion, are worth the additional $.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Just ranting like a fool.

I would do the Amazon pump if I was in a hurry and there was a scarcity of local parts. R&R on the pump isn't much work which means between time and money you aren't going to lose much.

People on the forum have been using the less expensive Bosch 69238 Fuel Pump for years. They are around $40. Whenever my pump goes out, it won't be replaced with OEM

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Belts replaced. I will be the first to admit I know nothing about valves or shims. If I have 0% leak on leakdown test with 65 psi would I be safe to assume my valves are good. ? Might be a dumb question

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sorry for the off topic rant, but are we STILL fucking serious about the Amazon pump here?

Let’s summarize a few facts here:
There are shitty Chines parts.
There are good Chines parts.
There are shitty American/European parts.
There are good American/European parts.

Yes, mil-spec parts are held to higher standards, but do I need earthquake/nuke/zombie proved parts on a $4k 748....nope!

Let’s refocus here and help a fella Ducatista get his bike back running on a dime here!

If the $30 fuel pump is part of the trouble shooting “experience”, so let it be!
For fuck sake, it’s delivered within 24hrs to your door.

If your local Ducati dealer depends on parts sales for “survival”, they are not doing a good job as a entrepreneur!

World peace!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
PS: posted from a American designed phone, made and assembled in China.

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
Just to clarify my response... I was not suggesting that the OP go with the ridiculously expensive OEM pump. I was suggesting that the way to go, at least in my humble opinion, is with a moderately priced alternative from a reputable manufacturer, e.g., Bosch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Flipped chip around and started right up, the only thing I needed for the non OEM pump was the original fuel screen, everything else was an exact fit and worked as should! Now that she was finally running, I learned how bad the clutch plates were. Another $200 and I have a set in route. In the mean time I hope to swap cam belts today. I can definitely tell that old 748 hasn't been running in a while. She did fire right up with some sputtering at first and quite smokey but eventually mellowed out. Just cant wait to ride it. I've owned many jap bikes from 600's- 1000's . What does the 748 comparison to the most.. as far as acceleration and power. I was told close to the CBR 600.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
You can get a aftermarket fuel pump for less than $50:

That pump I would not use. This pump I have used a few times and it IS THE EXACT SAME pump as OEM minus the parts to fit it.

You can simply transfer the parts from your old pump.

Some info and pics here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Build is almost complete.. I'm still struggling with fuel .. I have a new pump, filter, and cleaned injector screens. Idles great.. it will let me rev it hard once then struggles around 3k rpm. Ideas...?? Change regulator?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
check the fuel pressure. i would do it on the return to the tank. that way you'll know for sure if it is a fuel issue or not.

i've seen the quick release connectors cause issues too - very slow to build pressure, drops away with load. i've even had to replace both male and female on a couple of bikes. some of the non genuine ones (as in cpc made, but not ducati supplied) don't use viton o-rings and they can be an issue. get the viton o-ring ones. mick at gotham has them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I had a minor leak on my fuel hose to my fuel filter. Fixed that. Now when I ride it it's just off. Miss firing with some popping in the intake and still doesn't like to accelerate. I took a video but it wont let me load it. I had the Ducati dealership reset the TPS but it feels like the TPS is still off still.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Mine did that. It was a charging/wiring issue. I had to rewire the positive leads all around and clean the ends of the negative and ground cables.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
if you have the capacity, i'd still check the fuel pressure. you need to know if something is a problem or not. fix it or move on to the next thing in a systematic fashion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I agree, going to continue on my pressure test. I have the tools todo so and I need to address if that is or isn't an issue. What I know is pump and filter are new. New fuel connects and I've cleaned the injector screens and cleaned the throttle bodies. Along with new plugs and battery. Ducati dealer reset the TPS prior to new fuel pump. IF my pressure is good I might look at injectors again to address what feels like a miss fire from the intake cough and throttle hesitation. Or do you think my TPS needs an adjustment again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hooked up my injector pressure gauge to the return line. Turning the key on I'm at 50 psi. Bike running is showing close to 60 psi. Can to much cause my bike to die off when I'm trying to accelerate? Everything else seems good. I have a video but cant load it. I'll add a picture but might be hard to see. This is bike off but key on

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts