Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well it took awhile but I completed my leakdown test. If I wasn't 100% on top dead center on the compression stroke it wasn't a good reading and I later found out I was forcing the piston down with the air. After I got it tackled correctly. I was at about 5% leak... now this test was done with a $40 leakdown test kit so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I am very convinced my TPS is way off so that is my next goal. Also inspecting my brain box I noticed some water damage. I'm going to look into cleaning or replacing that also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You can see some what appears to be water damage on the bottom of my ecu. Will electronics spray and a toothbrush clean that up?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
you can pull the top off - it's just siliconed into a groove - and slide the whole lot out, but it all depends if it has damaged anything. worth a try. the 1,6m will get moisture into them if the rubber bung isn't taped up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am on my 3rd 748 engine. When I installed the most recent one it ran for about 10 seconds then ran it rough and then mechanical noises started. Turns out the flywheel nut backed off, the key way and notch in the flywheel got jacked up And the gear behind the flywheel moved. I believe that is the lay shaft gear which is connected to the main timing gear on the right side.

Pull off the left side engine cover and check the fly wheel nut. Apparently it was a problem with early 748’s as they didn’t have a belvue washer.

I just got my engine back this week after it sitting in the shop I bought it from for 10 months. Sorry if my terminology is off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My chip looks old as dirt . Recommendations for a plug and play also?
FIM Ultimap 091 is the best upgrade for a 748.

There's one on Ebay right now

097 as ducvet mentioned is for an 853 motor.

Keep in mind most aftermarket eproms are designed for more open pipes, so unfortunately you might have to buy some Termignonis to get optimal performance ... ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I successfully cleaned my ECU but I cannot help but wonder what or why there is a glob of hard Silicone looking substance on my board. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The tester I used showed about 60-65 psi if I remember correctly to zero the leak gauge. I will double check. But it was enough to move the piston showing 85% leak on exhaust stroke. But with a properly placed piston and holding rear brake we got about 5% . I agree I would have preferred 100 psi.
I did clean the circuit board as good as i could and did order the chip mentioned. She is going to ducati here in KC this week to get "tuned" and valve/belt maintenance. This old girl is going from forgotten to restored with love. I will also be anodizing faded parts while bike is in the shop

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Some updates. Fuel pump was only pushing 20psi so it would not take throttle. New pump from ducati $260. Have not ordered yet. My TPS was off and is now reset. I also installed a ULTIMAP M091 chip for 748 strada w/slip on and bike will not start then the chip installed....ideas? Going to replace pump asap to get max desired pressure and just wondering if I wasted money on the chip.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Amazon.... the template for a convenient world overlord.... that you are ok with because you never have to leave your home, and who if you are upset with will give you something for free. Sorry mods. You can delete this if you like. (and i purchase off of amazon from time to time)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts