Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. Got a little issue today when I was replacing the gas tank on my 98 748. The tank I was replacing with, had a gas tank mount bent for some reason (no idea why anyone want to do it, may be previous owner tried to fit it to some other Ducati models). So i tried to bend it back to it's original position and pulled a metal plate that was welded into the tank. Most of it is still welded to the tank but there is a crack on the bottom of that metal plate.
Wondering what would be the best fix in this situation?
I tried to look for some info, there is JB Weld, POR-15, Permatex gas tank sealer, epoxy, KBS, Red-Cote, welding...
Is any of this stuff actually work? I'm trying to avoid welding, may be anyone tried alternative solutions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello, everyone. Got a little issue today when I was replacing the gas tank on my 98 748. The tank I was replacing with, had a gas tank mount bent for some reason (no idea why anyone want to do it, may be previous owner tried to fit it to some other Ducati models). So i tried to bend it back to it's original position and pulled a metal plate that was welded into the tank. Most of it is still welded to the tank but there is a crack on the bottom of that metal plate.
Wondering what would be the best fix in this situation?
I tried to look for some info, there is JB Weld, POR-15, Permatex gas tank sealer, epoxy, KBS, Red-Cote, welding...
Is any of this stuff actually work? I'm trying to avoid welding, may be anyone tried alternative solutions?
Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A good lasting, strong enough repair will require welding, gluing will be a bodge. I might work for a while but you could later be known as "Fireball"

·
Registered
353 Posts
In the past I've used a 2 part gas tank repair from PepBoys for about $6.00 "Permatex Fuel Tank Expoxy Stick"

Need to install from the inside of the tank only. Clean the surface with acetone mix the two sticks together evenly and apply. Takes a short time to start setting up and overnight to cure. Did this repair on a Ducati ST4 tank, completely sealed the leak.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1179709/00826

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I'd bend it back into the correct position (where it may have been to start with) and then have it welded.

What about the fit made you think someone bent it? What seal are you using on the air box? Old thin one or the new thicker seal? What shape is the front pin in? Based on the picture, I am pretty sure the rear mount was correct. I don't see how you could bend any decent amount and not break the welds.

Edit: My bike's apart for winter maintenance, so easy to grab a pic of the tank mount for reference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd bend it back into the correct position (where it may have been to start with) and then have it welded.

What about the fit made you think someone bent it?
It is in in the correct position now. I have my other gas tank to compare. It was bent downwards, and there was smaller hole on the upper side. It was probably not leaking, but when I tried to put that in place lower side came off.
Also when I tried to install it, it didn't sit in place even if you tighten the bolt. It was moving sideways.

In term of the seals, I have 2 gas tanks, they all have the same seal. Not sure, if it is the thicker or thinner ones. Front pin is in great shape.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
In term of the seals, I have 2 gas tanks, they all have the same seal. Not sure, if it is the thicker or thinner ones.
In terms of seals, I am talking about the seal between the air box and the tank. The new thicker seal makes it hard to fit the tank. You really have to push it into place to get the rear bolt to thread in. You can see part of my seal in the pic I posted. That is one of the newer seals. It actually seals, however, unlike the original thin seal.

I guess it would have been better to see a pic of it before you tried to bend it up. The pic you posted makes it look like it has been bent up beyond where it needs to be. That mount is small and pretty thick compared to the material used in the tank. I can't see being able to bend it up or down without damage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had an issue with fuel tank weeping on my 999 late last year, my mechanic said the only way to permanently fix it is to weld. This we did after much tank venting and I've never had an problem since. Hope this helps you come to a decision.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts