Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 748 yellow
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was taking the tank off to clean up a few things and the bolt holding the tank on broke off with little to no force. Tried drilling and ez outing it then that bit broke off Inside . Fuck now what? Unless I can get that broken stuff out somehow it’s looking like I may need to cut that bracket off and reweld a new threaded nut to it, then reweld it back in the bike. I can’t just zip tie The tank on. Anyone have any ideas? Even if they’re crazy I’m listening

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im in the exact same boat with my 998. I zipped tied it very securely a couple of months ago and have had no issues. Before doing a track day, I would like to get it repaired however.

·
Registered
2000 748 yellow
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya zip tie is probably going to need to work. Just concerned that the tank could break off or fall off if things get nasty on the road.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
lh drill bit might work to wind the remainder out. rescue bit is good for chewing hard stuff out too.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
lh drill bit might work to wind the remainder out. rescue bit is good for chewing hard stuff out too.
Reverse drip bit and extractors. Often the drip catches and the offending part winds itself out. Hint. A thread that has broken its head means it’s caught in pretty tight. Drill a hole to big and the extraction tool causes the thread to jam even tighter. Drill it to small and you fuck yourself by breaking the tool, which as you know, is now even more painful to extract. I suggest you try chipping the broken tool out with something a bit harder then the tool. Once out then the next strategy is to CAREFULLY, one way or another, drill left over screw out so you can re-tap the hole. Not difficult to do. A bit challenging but it’s not a race. Failing that. Strip the bike down to the bare frame and send it of to get spark eroded. 😄

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
if you need to get out a very hard broken tool, the rescue bits just chew them up.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
if all else fails try a thin sharp chisel.by using it at an angle if there's enough stud surface,cut an edge hitting it so the stud will back out.may want to soak it with PB blaster for a couple days first.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
I'd just weld short stainless hex head bolt head down over that broken stud and fit a washer and nylok nut on top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts