Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 748 quit running on the way to work this morning. Before it stopped it was back firing through the intake at around 50 mph and stalled at a couple of stop lights. Checking it out on the side of the road all I can say so far is that the fuel pump doesn't make a sound when the switch is turned on and the Power Commander doesn't light up.
Would the best place to start be the relay or the fuel pump, or both?
Anyone know how much they are new from the dealer? The bike's got 9,500 miles on it and I don't think I'd like to bother with a used one.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Sounds electrical. Start with the relays, they are well known culprits for these symptoms.
BTW, replacement relays, with the plastic housing, can be found at Advance Auto parts for ~$13. I don't have the part number handy, but I think it's in the Hall of Wisdom somewhere. If I find it, I'll post. I keep a spare under the seat, just in case. :)

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Various part numbers for essentially the same relay:
Bosch #25530731
Bosch #25530905
Hella #25530904
Hella #25530731
Omron #25553347

Most Auto Parts stores should be able to find one of these pretty easily. After all, it's really just a standard heavy duty relay in a plastic housing for weather resistance.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
+1 on the relays, check the yellow one near the battery.

Also check the 2 fuses at the rear of the subframe, the larger one (20a, I think) powers the fuel pump and whilst the fuse was OK the wiring and the fuse holder melted in mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts