Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 1998 748

can anybody tell me what this thing is, it goes in the spot where my finger is pointing . . .the large nut cracked on me, lots of gas on my garage floor

would this cause my gas light to malfunction. . .because it has been for a while

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that's where your fuel pump sits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked my manual, it shows where the fuel pump is, but does not say what this is ... i assumed it was the sending unit for the fuel light ????

is this retaining nut known to break ???

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd have to check one of my tech manuals to know for sure. The two wires coming out go to the pump so it would make sense if it was the sending unit. As far as the nut breaking off, beats the hell out of me. Unless someone had been wrenching on it :rolleyes: I wouldn't think it would just break off.

Honestly, the best help I can offer is to keep the thread from getting buried until one of the wise Ducati gurus can really tell you what's what. I'm still learning too, but mostly from my own mistakes, so I don't think much I could tell you would be of any help. I posted a link in another thread to a zip file I have with a number of service manuals. Look around and if you can't find it I'll pm the link to you.

In the mean time...gurus?

·
Registered
724 Posts
i own a 1998 748

can anybody tell me what this thing is, it goes in the spot where my finger is pointing . . .the large nut cracked on me, lots of gas on my garage floor

would this cause my gas light to malfunction. . .because it has been for a while
That is the Low Fuel Sensor. If you click on the link on my signature it will take you to a thread that should be of help to you. PM me if you want the fix. Have it to you in a couple of days..:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I thought we determined that was the fuel sending unit? I'll take Ron's word for it though.

I had the same problem and found it when I replaced my pump. I now have one of Ron's nuts (no dirty boy, not one of those) and it looks great and I swear I paid on Friday and got it Monday or Tuesday. It's like they're packaged and ready to go in his truck and he ships them on his way home.

Super great guy with an absolutely valuable and important product he made!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does he sell the entire sending unit and nut ? because my low fuel light comes on and goes off as it pleases.... VERY ANNOYING !!

and i am convinved this black cylinder part is the sending unit, because it does have a float mechinism in it

and there are more than one bare wires showing near the plug and on the unit itself ,

I think, time to replace .

·
Registered
724 Posts
does he sell the entire sending unit and nut ? because my low fuel light comes on and goes off as it pleases.... VERY ANNOYING !!

and i am convinved this black cylinder part is the sending unit, because it does have a float mechinism in it

and there are more than one bare wires showing near the plug and on the unit itself ,

I think, time to replace .
I’m only selling the repair nut. If you have bare wires showing it may be time to get a complete unit that should also come with an aluminum nut (unless you’re unlucky and get old stock).

Depending on where the wires are bare, you may be able to cover them with some nonconductive epoxy if its right where they exit the epoxy potting under the boot - as long as you can do it and still allow the boot to seat properly keeping the wires spread apart. If its elsewhere some heat shrink tubing may do the trick on the individual wires while the connector housing is off to replace the nut. The light may be coming on if the smaller white and black wires are the bare wires and touching. I was trying to get a close look at your photo but couldn’t see the bare wires, so I’m assuming its where they come out of the potting?

Thanks for the compliments guys. Really appreciate it. :):cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are 3 wires bare on the unit side and 2 wires bare on the plug side... they dont seem to be touching, but then again i can not see the wires when the tank is bolted down on either

tried to take some better pics but they didnt turn out ... oh well

i'll probably just protect the wires like you guys said with some epoxy and heat shrink
buy a new o-ring and retaining nut, see if that fixes the low fuel light... if not i'll probably just pull the damn bulb, i know how far my bike gets on a tank of gas

as long as my garage stops smelling like a refinery, I'm happy !

·
Registered
724 Posts
As long as one of the wires isn't the power wire -- (red) -- or just make sure it can be protected securely (high heat area), otherwise it's probably not worth the effort and its time to purchase a new one. Last thing you need is for the power wire to contact ground.

Good luck and be safe with it.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts