Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a source for the stock FPR that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (as I'll need those to ride)? I've searched all over and can't seem to find anything.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look at that one. It has a slightly higher pressure (48psi instead of 43.5 or 3 bar). I found this one at NAPA:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

The one on the bottom is rated for 3 bar.

Just not sure if the extra pressure matters or not.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are some Harleys that use a dimensionally identical regulator. I don't recall the model but it has Weber injection. A search may turn up the proper bike, they were about $30 if I recall.

The pressure does matter as fuel flow at a given duration of injector pulse will increase, making your bike a bit richer. You can do a search for Doug Lofgren or Brad Black's musings on the matter for more clarification and probably some equations to calculate the difference in flow.

The same regulator is used on many Ducatis, so a quick tour through ebay or Gotham Cycles should net you a spare base which includes the regulator for very little cash. I have one in my basement on eBay right now for about $25 bucks and it isn't selling so they must go cheap!

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats wrong with the one you have?
To have more help tell us more, well everything :)
I had a hose blow in the tank. When I took it apart, some of the hoses were 3/8, some were 5/16. I ordered some 3/8 Gates R30 FI line for inside the tank. The prev owner did a crappy POR-15 reline job on it and it's peeling because he didn't wait long enough to dry. I picked up another tank on ebay for pretty cheap that has a good factory liner in it. The Fuel pump is all corroded and I'm replacing that too. I figured since I'm replacing everything else except for the base, I might as well renew the FPR too as long as it's not over $100. Also bought an oeiteker crimper and clamps to do the hoses. On the sunny side of things, it's snowing like nutz here in Kansas City so I'm not missing anything.

The pressure does matter as fuel flow at a given duration of injector pulse will increase, making your bike a bit richer. You can do a search for Doug Lofgren or Brad Black's musings on the matter for more clarification and probably some equations to calculate the difference in flow.
That's what I was thinking. The one from NAPA is rated for 3 bar which is spec according to the haynes manual and they have it listed that it's for a Harley. I'll pick one up and report back. Probably take a couple days to get it with V-Day etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't know why the auto zone site rates it at 48 psi. Other places rate the same regulator for the same car at 3 bar. Anyhow the difference is probably neglible.

I took a look at that one. It has a slightly higher pressure (48psi instead of 43.5 or 3 bar). I found this one at NAPA:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

The one on the bottom is rated for 3 bar.

Just not sure if the extra pressure matters or not.

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
The pressure-flow relationship is not linear. Theoretically it takes four times the pressure to get two times the flow through an injector orifice. So for example, if you want an 8% increase in flow through the nozzles using increased fuel pressure alone, you need an increase in fuel pressure of 36%.

As another example, the 916 Strada and Biposto models use 3.0 bar fuel pressure, while 916SP and Corsa models use 4.5 bar. This produces 22% more fuel from the same injector duration.

43 to 48psi is a 11% increase, too small to worry about.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I'd pull the current regulator to take with me to the store, and I'm glad I did. Check out how cruddy it is in there.

Any recommendations on cleaning the base? I was thinking of trying to scrub it with some CLR, taking the channel screw out so I can clean the duct with a pipe cleaner. Was also thinking of having it bead blasted, but I think that might mess up the ring seat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you find a new regulator? Only one I can find is on Ebay for like $150 .. I'm having pressure problems after a new pump and filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you find a new regulator? Only one I can find is on Ebay for like $150 .. I'm having pressure problems after a new pump and filter.
I bought the one mentioned a few comments above (VW Jetta 2.0 SFI) and no problems thus far. Cost about $55. Should have be available at most big parts departments.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine may or may not be an issue. The bike sat for years. Long story short after replacing the fuel pump and filter I'm now getting close to 60 psi . My bike will idle great but when I rev it , than it will die out sometimes backfire through the intake.

·
Registered
162 Posts
An earlier post that 11% increase in fuel is too little to worry about, I believe needs a correction. An 11% increase takes an AFR of 13.5:1 to 12.16:1, that is huge, and way too rich.
The entire range of usable AFRs from 12.8:1 to 14.6:1 is 14%. On either end of that you can run into rich or lean misfire with a little error. And, yes, you can, sometimes, run into the 15s:1 with new plugs, and sometimes you can run into the 11s:1 with ideal parts.
Parts unlimited sells a Weber 300kPa FPR and they sell a cheap imitation which (from my experience) isn't even close to the correct pressure. Don't be cheap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts