Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I ordered a white number plate decal for my 748S.

Any suggestions / horror stories regarding how it went on for you?

Apparently the source I ordered it from has it cut from the new EZ Apply material, which requires a dry surface, as opposed to the wet application techniques used in the past.

Seems like getting it lined-up properly is the biggest pain in the rear.

nummy

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just put mine on, it came with the EZ apply materal, but I wet the surface. I also used a hairdryer to heat the materal to get it to conform better and to help bend around the bottom of the nose. It did require to stretching at hte bottom. All in all, though, it wasn't too bad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wet surface?

I just put mine on, it came with the EZ apply materal, but I wet the surface. I also used a hairdryer to heat the materal to get it to conform better and to help bend around the bottom of the nose. It did require to stretching at hte bottom. All in all, though, it wasn't too bad
I assumed that wetting the surface was part of the application process, but I read somewhere that the EZ Apply decals require a dry surface.

Could you share a photo or two of your success with the group?

nummy

·
Registered
175 Posts

I have applied decals on a wet surface for years so I just stuck with what I know. I wouldn't sat they require a dry surface as mine did fine wet. It was way easier to deal with than the thin vinyl I'm used to working with

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I applied the white number plate decal last night.

It turned out near flawless......just a few very small air bubble near the bottom.

I also used a hair dryer, and followed the wet-apllication-method, per the retailer.

nummy

·
Registered
460 Posts
I applied the white number plate decal last night.

It turned out near flawless......just a few very small air bubble near the bottom.

I also used a hair dryer, and followed the wet-apllication-method, per the retailer.

nummy
To eliminate bubbles that arent close enough to an edge to squeeze out you can;

- squeeze around them to make them as small as possible
- using a very pointy and sharp blade (like for a scalpel) poke/cut a tiny slit at the bottom of the bubble (force the point into the bubble parallel with the bodywork so you dont damage the paint underneath)
- force the trapped air/moisture out by rubbing towards the cut

The cut will disappear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts