Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s an ultimate obscure question: Are there any differences between ‘99 and ‘01 frames? I have a titled ‘01 frame and would like to build it into a road bike with the parts from my untitleable ‘99 track bike. Before I take the complete bike apart, though, I’d like to be sure that there aren’t some minor differences that would cause me grief. Anyone ever compared the two?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Stock 00-02 748 do no have adjustable steering head tubes. I may be off on that but I think that I am right.

Also, the front and rear engine mount bolts are different sizes. They say 2000 and up are 12mm front and 12mm rear, but I have found on at least 3 engines, that the front can be 10mm and 12mm rear. That said, make sure the bolt hole diameters on the frame, front and rear, match the engine bolt hole diameters front and rear.

You can drill out the frames to suit the engine, but you cannot downsize. Using a sleeve on the bolts to fit a 10mm front engine bolt in a 12mm frame hole does not work out. You can try it with a sleeve or bushing, but it/they will ultimately fail.

Example, records state that the 99 996 engine is 10mm up front and 12mm in back. Fact is the 99 is 10mm front and rear. With a half-ass effort you can drill the cases out to 12mm front and/or rear to work. No problems.

For the 748 engines I have run, 97 & 2000, the 97 was 10mm front and rear and the 2000 10mm front and 12mm rear.

Other than the engine bolt issue, you will have no compatibility issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Will I lose any real performance by going to a fixed steering head? I never messed with the old one.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have found that engine bolts are shorter as well. To solve this I used comm bolts from a CBR900RR and washers to center the bolts in the 12mm hole and also to make up for that they are a little to long. Other than that the motor goes right in place.

Reactions: Namor

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The e frame has a non adjustable head and uses a different lower triple clamp. The triple clamp from a adjustable head will not work in because the steering stops are different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I can work around those problems. The guy who sold me the bike put a couple grand into it, then tried to title it. He sold it to me for a killer price because he couldn’t figure out how to get the title. I couldn’t figure out a way, either. I lucked out and found the titled frame at a salvage place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had to laugh... doing almost the same thing but my good bike is the 1999 and the tracked beat up bike I got a steal on is the 2001... Both titled so can't comment on the frame issue. Been swapping lots of other parts with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts