Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have monster with 748 ohlins forks on it that were just redone. wrecked the monster and would like to move the forks to the 749 if possible. Can this work or am I better to get the 749 forks revalved and sprung. I did search a little for forks swaps and i didnt see anything on the 749 to 749 deal. thanks in advance. Also on a side note the monster has a brand new shock on it as well (ohlins) anyone think I could get that to fit the 749? Ohlins is getting back to me on this as well and Im sure Im best to pull everything apart and do some measuring but I figure it never hurts to see what knowledge is out there while track season is still rockin. I have at least another month till the real snow falls and teardowns begin.)
thanks
Scott

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I think they'll be a direct swap, but you'll need a larger lower triple tree to fit the OD of the ohlins forks.

Are you going to throw then entire front end on or are you keeping the 749 wheel? IIRC the brakes are a different offset on the 749.

I could be wrong though.
Agreed...

Not sure what triples you have on the Monster, but you may be able to use those. There are some considerations though:

IIRC, Monsters/Supersports use 30mm offset clamps vs. 749's 36mm offset, which would be fine on your 749; likely a benefit. You just can't mix 'n match different offset top and bottom clamps.

What year/model 748 did the forks come from, the brakes may or may not be an issue.

The I highly doubt it would be feasible to convert the Monster shock to work with the 749. Prolly best to sell it off and pick up a 749/999 specific shock.. for which there have been a few awesome deals lately

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well not sure the year of the 748 forks as the monter already had the swapped 748 forks on it. I do know that the bottom triple of the monster though has a shim and the top triple is a cycle cat piece with no shim. Not sure as to the brake offset either and for sure I want to keep the front wheel so I may have a spacing issue there as well yeah?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bella749;723822 The I highly doubt it would be feasible to convert the Monster shock to work with the 749. Prolly best to sell it off and pick up a 749/999 specific shock.. for which there have been a few awesome deals lately[/QUOTE said:
yeah, i dont think its gonna work as length, and I would imagine spring rates ,would be diff. due to configuration but I just hate to get rid of a shock that only has 4 days on it. :( and I was what i thought were a few R shocks for sale and turned out they were both tye's shock so when one sold the second one was gone too. Doh! I saw on Flea Bay someone is selling Penske for 7 bills. any word about these... am I better off getting the stocker re-sprung and valved? Umm...is that even an option on the stock shock?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
well not sure the year of the 748 forks as the monter already had the swapped 748 forks on it. I do know that the bottom triple of the monster though has a shim and the top triple is a cycle cat piece with no shim. Not sure as to the brake offset either and for sure I want to keep the front wheel so I may have a spacing issue there as well yeah?
Do the calipers have 40mm or 65mm mounts... basically, does it look like the same spacing between capliper bolts on your 749?

Can you measure the fork tube diameter at the top and bottom clamps? Showas are 53mm at the top and bottom clamp, Ohlins (OEM Ducati) are usually 53mm and 56mm.

Does the Monster's top triple have clamps for handlbars, or were you using clipon bars?

Most 748's had 10mm brake rotor offset; the latter 748R's with the 4-pad Brembos like your 749 have 15mm rotor offset; that being amount of carrier offset or outward spacing from the wheel mount to the brake disc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so... gues its been a while since ive dealt with the monster, 'cause the forks are the TiN showas from a 748. Looks like the upper and lower triple match up to the 749. but the offsets of the brakes are def. different. Would swapping the rotors work in order to keep the same front march. wheel? caliper mounts match up as well so no worries there.

and Im gonna experiment with the shock. there is a +20mm ride height diff. in the monster but the Ohilns is adjustable so Im gonna tear them both down and see what fits together and then talk to Ohlins about the springs.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
so... gues its been a while since ive dealt with the monster, 'cause the forks are the TiN showas from a 748. Looks like the upper and lower triple match up to the 749. but the offsets of the brakes are def. different. Would swapping the rotors work in order to keep the same front march. wheel? caliper mounts match up as well so no worries there.

and Im gonna experiment with the shock. there is a +20mm ride height diff. in the monster but the Ohilns is adjustable so Im gonna tear them both down and see what fits together and then talk to Ohlins about the springs.
You should be able to just swap the forks then. I can't remember if the brake offset difference was built into the calipers or the fork bottom. Your Monster is wearing 2-pin Gold Line Brembos, I presume?

For the shock, go to the Ohlins site and look under product search. They list all the dimensions for the shocks, so you can compare.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didnt measure the actual calipers but the fork bottoms are about 5mm different from each other. the actual "rotor mounts" - sorry cant think of the real term- are different as well so Ill probably just do some mach up and measuring for that as well.

also cant seem to find any info on product numbers for front and rear sprockets. as this too is new and 14-43 on the monster of course Ill switch that if i can. I will go to the ohlins website and see whats up.

thanks Bella for all your help :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohlins specs - 749 305mm length and 71mm stroke
monster 330mm length and 65mm stroke

these are specs from factory and of course I can adjust the length of the shock to probably within about 3-5mm of stock. but the real question is do I need the extra 5mm of stroke? how exactly do you measure the amount of travel that you are using in the rear. I have them put an extra seal on the fronts but never really thought I would need to figure the rear :think:

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,010 Posts
how exactly do you measure the amount of travel that you are using in the rear.

Just fasten a cable tie around the chrome rod, push it up to the cylinder,
then go for a fast ride down a bumpy road.
The cable tie will be pushed down to the furthest extent of travel.

Can do the same thing on the forks too.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I can't remember if the brake offset difference was built into the calipers or the fork bottom.
Pretty sure the offset is in the fork bottom so that calipers are transferable between models, that would also explain the 5mm difference measured.

So you probably need to use the 748 wheel & rotor or get some 10mm offset, 5 hole rotors for the 749 wheel unless the fork bottoms can be modified or swapped?

·
Registered
231 Posts
you sure the offset difference isn't built into the hub of the wheel itself and not the fork bottoms? i can't confirm either way at present, but i'd bank on it being a difference in hub flange widths between wheels using 6-bolt and 5-bolt rotors.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
The disks themselves have a different offset.

But there is an easy fix: 5mm spacers between caliper and fork and you are fine!

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts