Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need to swap engines on my 01 748. I have never done this before so any pointers would be very welcome. I would like to find out what tools I need and any tricks and tips in terms of removal order of parts and reassembly.

I did a search on the forum but didn't come up with anything. If this has been discussed already, my apologies for a repost.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Pretty straightforward, remove everything attached to it; airbox, radiator, exhaust, all connections etc and you'll need to remove the rear TB to pass the engine through the frame. No 'special' tools required.

You need to support the rear of the bike by means other than the rear stand/swingarm, I used axle stands under the footrests.

There are 3 bolts holding the engine in the frame; the rear bolt that also holds the swingarm can be difficult to remove as they have a tendency to seize and I have heard of people having major problems removing it, although mine pushed out easily, support the rear wheel/swingarm whilst doing this and use lots of anti-seize when refitting.

The two front bolts require a long-reach and narrow-walled 3/8" drive socket to get inside the frame, actually you'll need 2 (one for each end) these were the only tools I needed to buy as my 1/2" drive sockets were too thick to fit in the frame, Once you've released the bolts it's just a case of lowering the engine through the frame, tip; engine is heavy so you'll really want some help or some kind of jack-stand to lower it with.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
What Duke Desmo said.

I can still remember getting the engine out of my 748 - to say I was terrified was an understatement. We used a car jack. He balanced it, I lowered the jack.:eek:

In the end come reassembly time, we wheeled the table under the suspended frame and lowered the frame down on to it - much easier. Pictures of frame suspended and engine sitting on bench follow. The engine was more complete ie heads were back on when we put the frame down on to it, I just wanted you to see the type of arrangement we used. We turned the bench at right angles to the bike it worked a treat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I support the engine with MC tie-downs attached to the frame after the bolts come out. Then come up with the hydraulic lift, loosen the tie-downs a bit, lower the engine a bit, etc. This allows my to do the whole job alone, which I've done many times. Helps a lot to be able to hang the frame from garage rafters, rather than using jackstands under the pegs, which get in the way of the job. Otherwise, it's straightforward - putting the engine back in is a pain because it's difficult to get things lined up just right, but dropping it is pretty simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts