Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings peoples, new Ducati owner here. I picked up a '99 748 track bike not too long ago and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

It's an ex race bike and the previous owner said that it had a Ducati Corse frame. This made me apprehensive about buying it at first, but it was straight the best I could tell and the finish appeared to be factory, although black. I didn't know that Ducati Corse even made frames? It has no VIN number (and clearly was never ground off) and also appears to be missing a lot of the original tabs to hold street gear.

Does anyone know more about this frame? Any more information you could tell me about it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Here's me at NJMP:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There was no 748 Racing frame. I think even the 748RS had a proper stock, streetable frame.

There were 916 Racing and 996 RS frames, which were a bit different.

Take it apart and show us a pic :think::eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
IIRC the 748R used the 996 frame, that may be what he was referring to? It however wasn't black... :confused:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
IIRC the 748R used the 996 frame, that may be what he was referring to? It however wasn't black... :confused:
748R and 2000 996SPS. All others had the higher brace.

The difference was the 996rs frame had a relocated rear bracing tube back and downward to allow a larger airbox, allowing the engine to be slightly lower.
Should be the same as the 2000 SPS frame. I know that the 998 frames were very different from the mass production bikes. Ask molasses on this forum, he will be able to explain in detail.

·
Registered
680 Posts
748R and 748RS's have 17 digit VIN's. 996RS have no ign. switch bracket and from about 1999 were all TIG welded. None were black so maybe the powdercoating is covering the VIN.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
No, the 996 and 748 shared the same frame, the 748R was the first production frame available with the lowered bar to allow a bigger airbox. I'm not sure what differences the 748RS models had from the R, in regards to the frame or the 748 Racing model.

·
Registered
248 Posts
From what I know, the standard 748/916 shared the same frames, then later standard 748 also shared frame with 996, and was updated to accept larger engine mount bolts. The last of 748 "Special" frame had no adjustable steering neck, so steering damper mounts were different from other 748/916/996.

916SPS was the first frame to accept large airbox, this same frame was carried on to 996SPS. The 748R frame also accepted large airbox, but the frame itself is different from SPS frames.

996RS frames do not have street verified VIN (therefore cannot be registered), this is the true "Corse" frame. And I believed 748RS used 748R frames.

Between Standard, SPS, R, RS frames, the tubes are different gauges, the welds are different, the welding points are also different.

At last, the 998. Which was designed to accept different engine, also has 3 different frames: Standard/S, R, RS.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
916SPS was the first frame to accept large airbox, this same frame was carried on to 996SPS. The 748R frame also accepted large airbox, but the frame itself is different from SPS frames.
No, 2000 996 SPS. At least here in Europe. I have one of these and I used to own a 916 SPS ´98 and they were different. You´re right about the 748R though mate.

At last, the 998. Which was designed to accept different engine, also has 3 different frames: Standard/S, R, RS.
Yeah, 996R and onwards. I don´t think the S and R frames were different on the road bikes. The R just had the 104mm bore instead of the 100mm.

·
Registered
273 Posts
From what I know, the standard 748/916
996RS frames do not have street verified VIN (therefore cannot be registered), this is the true "Corse" frame. And I believed 748RS used 748R frames.
\.
This is not correct. Any complete bike (street or Corse) that was built by Ducati will have a VIN number on it. Even the factory team World Superbikes have VIN numbers stamped into them. They need to have frame numbers on them to be able to cross through customs when going from one country to another during the race season.

The only frames that do not have VIN numbers stamped into them will be new replacement frames from Ducati or Pierobon.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
748R and 748RS's have 17 digit VIN's. 996RS have no ign. switch bracket and from about 1999 were all TIG welded. None were black so maybe the powdercoating is covering the VIN.
There is knowledgeable info. I wouldn´t want to argue with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts